2.16ghz MBP vs. 2.33

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ljova.com, Oct 30, 2006.

1. ljova.com macrumors member

Oct 1, 2002
    How much slower is the 2.16ghz MBP vs. the 2.33? (Percentagewise)
  2. McKellar macrumors newbie

May 7, 2006
    Well, considering that the bus speed and L2 cache are the same, and assuming that you're not doing anything that requires the RAM to be pushed, or you upgrade the 2.16 to 2GB then:

around 7.7% faster
  3. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Sep 14, 2006
    Not really worth the extra money to upgrade in the apple store then. probably wouldn't even notice that
  4. ljova.com thread starter macrumors member

Oct 1, 2002
    thank you! would it be possible to upgrade the 2.16ghz machines to 3GB RAM?
  5. ljova.com thread starter macrumors member

Oct 1, 2002
    then again, the 2.33 machine also has double the video memory..
  6. Willis macrumors 68020

Apr 23, 2006
    What feels like the middle of nowhere
    All C2D MBP's support upto 3Gb of Ram

It does indeed, but not entirely essential unless you intend of using an extental moniter in dual mode.
  7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.

You can't just do 'percentages' when figuring out if a computer is faster or slower.

Did 'the megahertz myth' teach you nothing?

Alright guys, the 2.16 MBP against the 2.33 MBP cannot be settled by simple division.

It takes preformance tests, speed tests and an understanding of what type of work your going to be doing on these machines.

If your going to do video or photo editing you probably want the 2.33 because more video ram and the speed bump.

Really, i know he asked for a percentage but its just incorrect to tell him without some sort of disclaimer.

-- MrMacMan
  8. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Huh? This has nothing to do with the 'Megahertz Myth.' We're not comparing Intel to AMD or PPC here... we're directly comparing IDENTICAL chips with different clock speeds. Of course you can describe the performance difference with clock speed. And as far as applications, he didn't specify what he was going to use it for, but people just want to know generally how much faster something will be... who knows what you'll need that CPU for in the future?

Now, why he couldn't do division by himself confuses me. If you can make a purchase decision on a $2500 machine, then why can't you use a calculator?
  9. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Thank you. :p
  10. McKellar macrumors newbie

May 7, 2006
    Notice I said around 7.7%. Obviously it's not going to be exactly that in every single task, but since they're very similar machines, the main difference being clock speed on an otherwise identical chip, I think it's fair to say that the 2.33 would be about that much faster generally.

And yes, you can upgrade the 2.16 to 3GB of RAM.
  11. ljova.com thread starter macrumors member

Oct 1, 2002
    :) because the Calculator on my 1GHZ TiBook runs very slowly when I try to record music in DP while trying to surf MySpace + YouTube.

I was just trying to figure out how much of a speed difference that is in "real-world" terms. And also from people who've used it.

12. dongmin macrumors 68000

Jan 3, 2002
    I dare say you'll notice very little in terms of real-world performance. The extra 7% comes into play in only the most performance intensive tasks, i.e. video encoding, 3d rendering, etc.
  13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    What performance tests always show is that division doesn't mean anything. Look at that 7.7% that was calculated mathematically, and tell yourself that you won't even get that high an improvement in most tasks. Based on that 7.7% mathematical approximation, I'm going to guess 4% for most tasks. The benefits of the 2.33 GHz machine won't be 7.7%, and could never be higher with every other factor being the same.