2-22-01 1.4mhz G4 Apollos... Says Who?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by motle3, Jan 16, 2002.

1. motle3 macrumors newbie

I am in the market to buy the middle model of G4 Tower as soon as I am happy with the quality of the middle model. Realizing that the raise in speeds in the iMacs would have to push the Towers' stock down a little, I am waiting to see what will be unleashed sooner than later (MacWorldNYC) I don't need a G5, especially a first generation G5. I am still here waiting for the price drop. So I hear about a date and new name:

1-22-02 & G4 Apollos 1.4 Mhz

Where is this coming from? I know rumor mills happen and often can not be traced to their origin, but an exact date? Sounds like a plan.

Do you guys think that a 1.4 MH would push the dual 800 to the middle slot? Or do you think they will discontinue the model and replace it with say a 1.1 GHZ model? What does everybody think?

So where did the infamous 1-22-02 date come from?

2. LargeMarge Guest

New G4's

I was just at an Apple training event for FCP3. The "trainer" confirmed that Apple would be announcing new G4's within 2 months that clocked at 1.4 GHz (top end) and dual 1.2 GHz for the mid. He didn't elaborate

3. BillGates macrumors member

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

DP 800 will be lowest, if even still available! If they use the Apollo, I wouldn't be surprised if ALL of them were the Apollo chip and they run GHz all across the board. I hope I hope I hope...

5. blindman858 macrumors newbie

Yeah I am Pretty Sure there will be speed upgrades to the g4. However, i have heard the cpu named apollo was the g5 not new faster g4s. Another thing, is the new cpus will also go with a bus speed increase and ddr memory in the system.

6. Six macrumors regular

Someone from Apple told you that, Largemarge? Wait... what exactly is FC3P first? then maybe i'd have a better idea about this.. somehow i find it hard to believe that apple's just gonna admit to someone this (although everyone knows it'll happen)

7. Tomasz macrumors regular

FCP3 is...

Final cut pro 3..
    but I don't know about the guys sources...
    i doubt they would just say things like that, but then again it is a large amount of time. So anything can happen and obviously there will be new processors, the question is just what and when.

Tomasz

8. fluffypussy Guest

G4

Like EVERYONE else I was majorly bummed about the LACK of ANY news at MacWorld regarding the G4 OR G5!!!!!! I must say that the new iMAC is great but how can APPLE justify the price for the G4 tower for the price now that the iMAC is shipping with an 800Mhz G4 and a flat panel screen for $400 less than the lowest model G4 tower?? I bet you dollars to donuts that APPLE is VERY aware of this and will debut a speed bumped G4 line WAY BEFORE MacWorld NY!!!!!!!

9. GPTurismo macrumors 6502

I think it will be 1.4 G4s at the high end, with dual 1.2s maybe.

BTW, I started using Omniweb. I am in love :9~~~~

10. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

Fluffy wrote...

"Like EVERYONE else I was majorly bummed about the LACK of ANY news at MacWorld regarding the G4 OR G5!!!!!! I must say that the new iMAC is great but how can APPLE justify the price for the G4 tower for the price now that the iMAC is shipping with an 800Mhz G4 and a flat panel screen for $400 less than the lowest model G4 tower?? I bet you dollars to donuts that APPLE is VERY aware of this and will debut a speed bumped G4 line WAY BEFORE MacWorld NY!!!!!!!"

Let's hope that your logic is their logic. I think we are in agreement when I say that I still feel that any MT announcement is late, especially after all that BS pre-Macworld Expo hype APPLE THEMSELVES unleashed. But late or not, for the sake of the platform, they need to release higher-powered MT models soon, and I don't mean MWNY. Certainly, at the very least, they need to lower prices on their current MT models.

Oh... for anyone who's as mad at Apple as I am for their BS this past Expo, take a look at creativemac.com. I believe that you should find a link there by David Nagel regarding his views on this past Macworld. He states things ever so eloquently. I can dig up his editorial if anyone has trouble finding it.

11. GigaWire macrumors 6502

Funny, currently there are no Apple sanctioned seminars for FCP 3.

12. motle3 thread starter macrumors newbie

January 31st Display Deal is over

Someone mentioned before that the reason the 22nd of January was the date of the release was because they were discontinuing the monitor with a G4 deal on the 21st of Jan. Well they have changed the deal apparently...

FROM apple.com "Crystal Clear Flat panel deal"
    =============================
    "From October 26, 2001, through January 31, 2002 , and save up to $500 instantly when you purchase a Power Mac G4 and a qualifying Apple display from Apple Store (online)."

Why would they set the terms and name individaul models of Machines that won't be around 9 days before the savings ends?

13. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Re: January 31st Display Deal is over

I guess you didn't read the bottom of that page-

Apple reserves the right to change the Terms and Conditions or end the offer at any time without notice.

Don't confuse the date with a release window.

14. Obsidian macrumors member

you might find this interesting

I posted this message a little while back in a different thread. It seems that it would apply very well to this thread, so here it is again:

I totally agree with everyone talking about how the new iMac invades and cannibalizes the PowerMac line up. This makes so much sense to me that it seems almost impossible to turn out in any other way.

After you read, I think you will agree.

Bear with me:

In the past and in the present, there are always 3-4 different base PowerMacs. Suppose that the base power mac for the first term is 500MHZ, and the high lever power mac is 700MHz. When the next speed bump arrives, all original models, except the high end, are eliminated. At the next revision, 700MHz becomes the low end, and resumes the price point that the prior 500MHz occupied, and the new 900MHz will replace the 700MHz's old price point, ect.

It has been this marketing strategy used for some time by Apple, and it is because of this that I forsee either a longer than expected delay on shipment of G5's or a dramatic price change all across the line.

IF the new G5's were to debut at MW Tokyo, then the new iMacs will have either only enjoyed two months at their high price point, or the PowerMacs will all increase dramatically in price.

Theoretically, if the G5's are announced at MW Tokyo, then for it to follow Apples old pricing scheme, then the bottom end model would be cheaper than todays iMac, and come it at $1699 US.
    (Where as the iMac falls into place at $1799 US).

This either means that the new iMacs will have a $200-500 price cut each across the line; or that the new low end PowerMac G5's will be increase $500 across the line, so the bottom end will fall into $2199 US.

I tentitivley lean towards the increase in the PowerMac price, as it will be to soon to make such a durastic price reduction in the iMac.

( it is also possible that there will be a marginal price cut to the imacs, and this would allow for a less durastic increase in PowerMac prices.)

Any thoughts?

15. shergar macrumors member

speed bump

Why would Apple make this announcement 'on the quiet' so soon after Macworld? Surely it would have made sense to announce any imminent speed bump in the keynote.

16. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

LargeMarge

Hey everyone. I'm the former LargeMarge (I finally registered). The info from the Final Cut Pro 3 seminar _is_ legit. The instructor is a successful independent filmmaker from here in (insert LARGE city).

By the way, heres the link to the cl*** info, for those of you that doubt the existence of said cl***:

http://asp-web.info.apple.com/em/search/list.l***o?-token.id=ES002026

or look them up at
    http://www.apple.com/seminars/

He also mentioned DDR RAM and faster BUS. We were talking about the number of real-time effects FCP3 could sustain.

hope this helps! (no, I'm not some wanker who sits around and conjures up useless lies).

Good to be part of the group.

17. shergar macrumors member

hey
    more importantly, the new censorship software doesn't recognise the word wanker.
    wonderful. we can't write Cl***ic, or ***essment or ***wipe, but we can get away with wanker.

18. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Saw this today-

Seems like a few people are saying the same things. This comes from a guy who sells macs.

19. Lost macrumors newbie

GHz+ G4s - UK/French rumour

On the day of Jobs' MacWorld keynote there appeared specifications and pricing details on a French reseller's site, quoted in UK MacUser Web site:

1.2, 1.4 and dual 1.4 GHz G4s, min 256MB/40GB/CD/DVD with 512 RAM, 60 or 80GB disks, Combo or SuperDrive options.

Prices were in euros, and the only one I noted was for the 1.4GHz single processor which equated to UKP 1699, the price point of the current mid-range G4 tower.

This disappeared from both MacUser and the French site later the same day. I asked MacUser if they'd been under pressure from Apple but they didn't respond.

I hope it's true, and soon - my G4/450 is under lease contract and has to go back mid-March. The current G4s don't look that appealing any more and I don't want to get stuck with one and see the new machines come out a month later...

20. Shaktai macrumors member

Apollo G4 before the G5

January 22nd is a rumor date that arose out of certain marketing channels. Tuesday is a common (though not strict) annoucement date for Apple, and I think that is why a lot of people picked the 22nd. Initially it began as "20 ish" something. It is not unusual for Apple (or anyone else) to annouce a product a couple of weeks or so before it actually ships. Prime example is the new iMac announced at MacWorld but not shipping until the latter part of the month in quantity. Based upon my informal study of the progression of chip development this is what I expect, possibly by the end of the month (the 22nd is not too soon) but almost certainly by the time Seybold rolls around.

The G4 Apollo chip is shipping in adequate quantities now at speeds in excess of 1 gig to meet possible demand. The most commonly mentioned speeds are 1.067, 1.2 and 1.4 ghz. There is also a 1.6 ghz chip but it is unknown if there is sufficient supply to currently ship it. I expect that when Apple does annouce it, we will see 1.2, 1.4 ghz models with at least 1 multi-processor model of an unknown speed. There is a chance the 200mhz bus and DDRAM along with firewire 2 will be ready for this next edition, but only Apple knows for sure.

The G5 is still not ready for primetime with the best information I have been able to find. Production of the chip has produced speeds in the 1.2 to 2.3 gigahertz range but not in realiable quantities. There are probably still some bugs to work out as well. The G5 chip is co-developed by Motorola and Apple. I can't see it in production before spring, and probably not till summer. However it should debut with significant all around enhancements to the system. Mid to late summer is probably the time frame before sufficient supplies will exist for m*** production.

The IBM G3 "Sahara chip" will probably become the mainstay of portable computers such as the ibook, at some point. It's extremely miserly power requirements are ideal for such applications. Keep in mind though that they also have an extensive imbedded and dedicated appliance market for that chip.

In the end though, your guess is as good as mine. Apple loves to keep people guessing. :confused:

** Let me clarify that the G5 as it will appear in the Mac is co-developed by Motorola and Apple. Apparently Motorola was lagging in development (as usual) so Apple provided engineering support to help progress along. Motorola does have other variations of the 8500 (G5) chip that will be used for different purposes. Chips are developed along similar but different time lines, depending on purpose. -- I would be pleasently surprised if they did indeed get the G5 to market sooner. Apple would like to, but Motorola may not be able to. The G5 does have tremendous potential.