2 23" ACD's or 1 30" ACD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by craigatkinson, Jul 14, 2006.

?

30" ACD or dual 23" ACDs

1. One 30" Apple Cinema Display

87.5%
  2. Dual 23" Apple Cinema Displays

12.5%
  3. Dual 24" Dell Displays

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. craigatkinson macrumors regular

craigatkinson

I noticed that the price of two 23" ACD's is the same price as one 30" ACD. If any of you had the choice which do you think would be better. 2 23" displays or one 30" display?

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

dual monitors kind of bother me, so i'd vote for the 30", but it's all a matter of preference.

3. craigatkinson thread starter macrumors regular

craigatkinson

Why do they bother you? Is it because you have to look back and forth between them instead of having it all right before your face?

4. Lau Guest

What are you going to use them for? I would definitely say one 30" - it's cleaner and nicer looking than two monitors, and it's bloody huge! If I can do all my work on a 12" laptop, a 30" would be more than enough space, and as I said, a neater solution.

However, if you do a lot of video editing, or something where you need yards and yards of screen space or where split screens could be useful, maybe two would be the way to go.

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

There are some similiar thoughts on the 2 vs 1 screen idea in this thread.

I think there is another 2 23's vs 1 30'' thread somewhere too, but i can't find it atm.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'd go with the single monitor, if you could have either option, because there are fewer issues with getting to the menu bar, reaching the dock, etc.

One plus of dual monitors is that full-screen things (games, movies if you want, etc.) can be placed there and fully visible while you work on the other screen. And, of course, two 23" monitors will give you slightly more pixels (maybe 12% more or so...).

Still, I'd pick the 30".

7. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I've got dual monitors both at work and at home and I absolutely love the setup. At home, the ability to have Mail, Adium, iTunes, pearLyrics, and a Finder window open on one screen while I "work" on the other screen is wonderful. I love it.

However, I'd give it up in a heartbeat for a 30" display.

8. cc bcc macrumors 6502

I'd go with one 30". Two 23" displays on your desk, you know how wide that is? I think it wouldn't be nice for your neck ;)

9. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

It'd really help to know what you are doing. For instance, 2 screens are great for audio and video, but if it's general productivity you're after, the 30 incher, as jsw explained is better for accesing the dock and menubar.

10. craigatkinson thread starter macrumors regular

craigatkinson

Well, it's for my wife. My wife is a photographer. I'd also like to use it as well though when I do my research and stuff. I usually have a word processor open with several documents, a browswer open with several windows, and maybe iTunes and mail.

11. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

yepp, basically that. it's probably mostly because i've never worked with a dual system, so i've never gotten used to it.

12. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

ok, then almost definitely the single 30 inch.

13. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

Back in 2003, I have to decided which: 2 17" ACD or 1 23" so I went for 2 17" and I kinda regret ever since. I wish I went for 23" b/c I want wide-screen (perfect for movie). So if I were you, I'd go for 30" why? If you watch a movie on 1 of 23" and you can't turn off the other ACD which is kinda bad. Go for 30! It's FRACKIN™ BIG and NICE! :eek:

14. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

I've had both scenarios. When I had my quad, I tried using 2 23" inchers
    and thought it was cool. Then realized that even though I had more pixels
    than a single 30", I really liked the added height with the 30". So I
    ditched the 23's and stayed with the 30" (which I was much happier with) until
    I sold the quad and monitor for my iMac - and some cash in pocket. :D

15. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I much prefer a single monitor to 2 monitors. Plus the 30" has much better specs than the 23"ers.

16. craigatkinson thread starter macrumors regular

craigatkinson

Why did you give up your quad and 30" for an iMac? Was it worth it? What do you use your computer for? The reason I ask is my wife is a photographer with a g5 iMac. We are going to sell it and get a power mac. Is this a bad idea? What do you think?

17. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

Yeah, same question here. Hope you got a lot of cash for the quad and 30"!

18. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

Craig,

in my personal opinion, you can't go wrong with either route. or you could just get 2 30"ers and be done with it ;)

anyways, what im saying is something you might want to consider.
    as you know because i've told you already, i run a 23" ACD and 24" Dell 2405fpw side by side. those two together cost me about $1700. now in my opinion, the advantage of having the two montiors REALLY comes into play when you are a photographer ( like myself ). let me explain, when i work in photoshop, i usually have all my pallets, necessary stuff, and bridge ( or a browser ) running on the right monitor, and then i have the image in fullscreen on the left monitor. I very much prefer this method as i have nothing obstructing my view, obviously it helps to remember all the millions of photoshop hotkeys, but all your toolbars and pallets are right there when you need them.

all that being said. i would still enjoy to have a 30" on my desk, but i would still have a second display for my extra stuff :)

19. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

If you have the desktop space, I would prefer the dual 23" monitors for work as it's easier to separate different apps you use/see in tandem. A single 30" monitor is however a better prospect for design and entertainment use.

20. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

agreed, it does require a wider work-space. but i have a fairly wide desk, so i manage ok ;) plus these monitors dont have a very large footprint so thats ok too.

21. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I recently bought the 30" ACD and I LOVE it! I've seen others' dual-monitor setups but decided that I preferred having just one large monitor for editing my photographic images. I bought it in anticipation of eventually getting the intel version of the Power Macs when that rolls around.... in the meantime I've got the ACD hooked up to my 15" MBP and am really enjoying working with my images on this thing. WOW! There is plenty of screen real estate so that now I don't have problems with palettes and such getting in the way or obscuring my view and even before blowing an image up further I can see really well when working on fine details in either Aperture or CS2.

I am using my G5 iMac for everything else: web surfing, email, etc., so that I can have it on at the same time as I'm working with my images and can multi-task if necessary.

22. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

I sold the setup to stay on the front end of tech. It also helped because I plan on moving my wife from the mini she currently owns to this iMac if I decide to go with the new MacPros once they're announced. I don't do as much studio work as I used to, it's more of a hobby for me now anyways. I do like the speed of my iMac. It performs many of the tasks just as fast, if not faster, than my old quad. I know, many won't believe me and want benchmarks, but I'm talking about real world day to day usage. Again, the machine isn't doing any real heavy lifting. I use maybe 5 or 6 plug-ins for Pro Tools and when video editing, only minor transitions and edits. I do like the idea of expandability though, which is why a MacPro might be in my future. I would like to use a 30" monitor again too.

In response to your question regarding purchasing a PowerMac, I would have to ask, how intense is the work performed? Also, I think I would wait for the MacPro announcement that is inevitible soon (WWDC next month). Of course, if you're using Photoshop, then that might change things a bit.

Yeah, the quad had a 250 gig hard drive and 6.5 gigs of ram. I sold the set on eBay for $5500.00 and got the iMac new on Apple store online for around $1800.00 - including the 256Mb video upgrade. I also bought 2 gigs of third party ram. She runs real fast and smooth baby. ;)

23. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

You get much more vertical pixels with a single 30". This is why (if I were rich) I'd prefer it.

24. Angrist macrumors 6502

I'd get two Dell 24" monitors.

The Dells are cheaper than the ACDs (although not as nice looking enclosure wise), and they have more inputs. You could attach a second machine, TV / VCR feed, or video game console to either monitor to increase your "productivity".

25. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Well, personally, I would not be very "productive" with a TV / VCR feed or a video game console in front of me. :D