2.3 inches DVD and other random thoughts...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by srobert, Mar 18, 2004.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    Just random thoughts...

Would'nt it have been fun if the industry would have opted (longer development?) for smaller DVDs, just like Nintendo's GameCube ones. Of course such DVDs only have a capacity of 1.5 GB but I could see the capacity increased in the next generation.

Imagine the possibilities a 2.3 inches DVD disk could create. A drive for such a disk would occupy much less internal space in a laptop. Of course, on the negative side, I'm not sure a full lenght movie can fit on those. And they would'nt be compatible with DVD players. Oh well. I guess the implementation should have been made at the beginning of development of the format.

Hmmm... a 2.5 inches DVD drive coupled with a 2 inches HD. That would really be a space saver in a laptop. Not sure if the 2 inches drives can whistand constant usage though.
  2. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    i wish the industry would adopt some sort of protective casing for optical discs, like Mini Disc...

mini DVD would be kinda neat, but i think i like having slot loading optical drives better...
  3. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    Makes me think of the old CD Caddies Apple used to use. Cumbersome but very protective.:

4. idkew macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i had an nec drive that required caddies. that sucked. if you don't leave cds/dvds out, you won't have a scratch problem.
  5. krimson macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i believe some Panasonic camcorders use a 80mm DVD-RAM (3GB, i think) already
  6. tjwett macrumors 68000

May 6, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    there is actually some codec system that Nintendo has that can compress/decompress data onto these mini DVDs very well. for example the Resident Evil game has 9GB worth of data compressed onto the disk, and then I guess decompressed during play. Nintendo keeps very tight wraps on this technology though from what I understand.

having said that, i'm all for miniaturization of everything, well almost everything. and i'm still upset that the miniDisc didn't take off.