2-3 Week Lead Time on PM 2.7GHz. Why?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by terpfan91, Aug 2, 2005.

1. terpfan91 macrumors newbie

Jan 22, 2003
    So, I went to order a 2.7Ghz Power Mac today and noticed that the estimated ship time is 2-3 weeks, while the 2.3 and 2.0 ship "same day".

So now, being the nervous sort, I'm wondering whether this could possibly be evidence that Apple is cleaning out the channel in advance of something new being announced, or is this a more typical occurrence and just indicative of unusually high demand for the 2.7?

Any thoughts or ideas?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    It could be something as simple as they don't have any 2.7 GHz processors in stock. I know, "How can a company as big as Apple run out of a part?" Even large companies make bad estimates sometimes.

On the other-hand, it could mean an update. I'd put my money on low inventory though.
  3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    I'd bet on IBM having problems delivering the part. :p

The Top of the Line isn't a huge seller either, along with being a scare part from IBM, so if they have a sudden run on them (or huge order) they will suddenly show a large delay.
  4. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2003
    We all know that IBM has problems with stock. So my guess its that. Macbidouille even has a theory that it might be IBM trying to get back at Apple cos of the Intel deal thang. But i still stick with stock issues....Atleast we wont have this problem with intel...i hope. :rolleyes: