2.4Ghz Phone and Linksys WRT54G?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ITASOR, Dec 23, 2005.

1. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

We bought my mom a new cordless phone (really nice one) for one of her christmas/birthday gifts. It's a 2.4Ghz.

Now I wondering if maybe we should have. Right now we have a 900Mhz (I think) and it doesn't interfere with the wireless router at all.

I have a Linksys WRT54G -- anyone have any problems with this router and a 2.4ghz cordless phone?

2. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

problems

almost garunteed you will have problems. the phones and 802.11 operate on the same radio frequency. basically your net will be fine until you get a call or make a call, then its down for the count. sorry, youd best go 5.8 ghz for the phone, cuz i think 2.4 ghz is gonna stick for 802.11

3. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

I have the same router and was having the same problem for a while. It took me about a week of loosing internet on my laptop when ever the phone rang to realize the connection. I thought something was up with my modem until I answered a phone call with the cordless phone while on the internet. Anyway, there is hope. I changed the channel that the router runs on to something different (can't remember what at the moment, but try a few) and now I don't seem to have the problem at all. Try that.

4. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Hmm, I'm already running the router on a different channel, because before it was disconnecting from my PC laptop once and a while.

The phone's from walmart, so I guess if worst comes to worst we can always bring it back and exchange it for a 5.8Ghz.

I'll have to do some testing, maybe go on the internet while my dad calls my cell phone on the 2.4ghz phone.

5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I have the Linksys WRT54G and have a bunch of 2.4GHz based phones. I haven't noticed any problems.

I think you should try it out and see if it affects your internet, and if it does - just take it back for a 5.8GHz phone. ;)

EDIT: And, I have the Linksys WRT54G at my Mom's - we have all 5.8GHz phones, to tell you the truth, I don't notice a difference. (above was my dad's situation)

6. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Don't you have problems with your network all the time? :X

7. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Nope, not anymore. The reason was that I'm opposite sides of the house. When I'm in the basement or on the main level, all is good. I'm pretty far away from the router. My solution? I ran a 150ft. cable across the house, made it look professional by hiding it, etc. and popped it through the wall, hooked up a 4 port switch (getting an 8 port switch for xmas [:D]), and I've been fine. :) ;)

8. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I have an Airport Express, and my wife just bought a 2.4ghz phone for her office. She says her reception is horrible, but, I haven't noticed any dropout on my internet service. Could they be interfering with each other?

9. therevolution macrumors 6502

I also have a WRT54G and two 2.4GHz cordless phones. Never had a problem - my net connection never dies and the phones sound fine. Not exactly sure why, but I'm not complaining...

10. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Add me to the list of those who have had to switch to 5.8ghz because of interference.

11. DinoAdventure macrumors member

DinoAdventure

I have a WRT54G and 2 2.4 ghz phones in my house and they all seem to work fine.

12. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

My old Panasonic was 2.4ghz and I NEVER had problems with interference. One the panonsonic died, I upgraded to 5.8...

13. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

I've heard both sides of the story...looks like it's just luck...

My grandpa has a WRT54G and a 2.4 and they work just fine together. He's using channel 6 too.

14. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Yes as mine do with mine. My iMac stays online when using the phone but crappy reception, the iBook will drop and the phone gets a crackle to it.
    I'll be buying a 5.8 after the holidays.

I think that's it but I'm using an AE and it's in the basement so that might not help matters.
    Just looking at my phone now and it's a digital signal but some still use the analog so that might make a difference as well :cool: