Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
DMann said:
Now, those rumors of the Apple Digital Camera
may "come together" and actually materialize :rolleyes:

Unlikely or not, it would be nice. I was a beta tester for the Apple QuickTake 100 many years ago. I think people forget that Apple more or less started the digital camera thing - or at least was there a decade ago. I'd like to see them get back into that area.

DWKlink

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2003
New York, NY
beefcake said:
Seeing as the casing size on the 20 GB won't be changing any time soon, why condense everything on the scroll wheel and leave all that empty space below the screen?

How about a few extra lines for its color display :)

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
steve did say he wanted to make the ipod's cheaper ... that's probably where the 2.5GB fit in.

2.5 GB is too small for me, but I guess others might like it. the 5GB would be just right.

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
ennerseed said:
Does anyone else see the iPod mini staying just a "music player", as the iPod morphs and grows features / uses?

Well, as I see it, this is pretty much what happened when the iMac was originally released. The iMacs and eMacs are still basically the same in features (sure there's FW, USB and so on, but still..) as the orig. imac while the PowerMac line has gotten new features all the time (G5 has optical sound in/out, dual display support, new architecture etc).

Still, I don't really see the iPod as a videopod — it could get a TV-out though... maybe... in my dreams... maybe they'll be reality some day... hopefully.

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
I don't care what capacity it is, I would buy it!

But then again, if I could get my hands on a blue iPod mini I would have bought one a long time ago, they are no where to be found here in Chicago :(

As usual, we're ready to give apple money but they are having major delays preventing that. (and yes i know the reason for the scarce supply is that hitachi isn't producing the minidrives in bulk, but still, DAMN YOU APPLE!)

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
slightly off topic, but...

has anyone realized that since the new G5's were announced, the rumors concerning WWDC dropped totally?! :)

It's actually a good thing. Now, next week's probably gonna be all about WWDC since it's starting to be close then.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I recall Steve saying (more or less) at MWSF 2004 that 2GB of music in an iPod mini really isn't enough space...so I strongly doubt that 2.5GB of space is enough, either.

IF (big "if") Steve updates the iPod minis, I say the current mini will be dropped in price, and a new model iPod mini will be introduced with 6GB or 8GB of space. But I doubt that'll happen.

LeeTom said:
Why would Apple switch suppliers, just to go up 1GB? Good luck Seagate, but it ain't gonna happen.
I've read on these forums that people have had bad luck with Segate Hard Drives as well. Interesting...

g4cubed said:
and now Steve is scrambling for something to announce at WWDC
How about this: Tiger fixes all of Panther's flaws once and for all. And there are also G5 iMacs and updated displays of some sort being awaited.

g4cubed's sig said:
Just remember even when you fall on your face
You're still going forward
Yeah, but you usually have to get back up.
icon4.gif

hughdogg

macrumors member
jsw said:
Unlikely or not, it would be nice. I was a beta tester for the Apple QuickTake 100 many years ago. I think people forget that Apple more or less started the digital camera thing - or at least was there a decade ago. I'd like to see them get back into that area.
Hmmm,
There are already tons of good digital camera's out there...what could Apple do that would be unique? I mean digital camera's are rapidly becoming a commodity, with very little to differential from one to the next (I'm speaking specifically in the consumer level 3-4 megapixles range). You point it, shoot it, and download it to a computer. They all have red-eye reduction, they all have built in filters, and they all have 20 other similar features, and iPhoto work great with all of them already. The reason the iPod was such a success was because it paired a great portable player with great software on the computer.

Potential unique camera features:
HDD - too many battery issues, and response time issues. Plus, when traveling, I take multiple cards and if one fills up, pop in the next card.
Wi-Fi, huge battery issues. I mean a wi-fi camera paired with a wi-fi iPod storage device would conceptually be very cool, but the battery life issues would be huge.

That dosen't mean I don't think Apple has something up their sleeve that none of us have thought of...see: airport express.

Cheers,
hughdogg

TWinbrook46636

macrumors regular
May 21, 2003
soosy said:
Does rpm make a difference if you're filling a cache anyway?

"We'd like to be. We're certainly talking to them about this product." isn't spilling the beans.

Yes, especially when you are using AIFF or AL files.

Yes, saying you are in talks with Apple is spilling the beans.

I'm sure Hitachi will be happy to supply Apple with 5GB versions if they want. It's a rather small jump though and the slower drive speed may prove to be a hindrance with the large files above. Indeed, some are reporting their iPods can't handle AL without skipping while the buffer presumably reloads.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
AndrewMT said:
All I know is - I would much rather have a Seagate running in my mini iPod, then a Hitachi drive.
Have you ever used a Hitachi designed drive and not one of the designs that came from IBMs disk facility?

It's actually a toss up as to which I would prefer. As for the CF format HDDs, Hitachi took the IBM MicroDrive and fixed a couple of major design flaws in them. This would be Seagates first generation device. That makes the Hitachi look better until we get some data on how the Seagte one performs in the real world.

I could tell you stories about most of the disk manufacturers that would make sure you did daily backups of your data.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
hughdogg said:
Hmmm,
There are already tons of good digital camera's out there...what could Apple do that would be unique? I mean digital camera's are rapidly becoming a commodity, with very little to differential from one to the next (I'm speaking specifically in the consumer level 3-4 megapixles range). You point it, shoot it, and download it to a computer. They all have red-eye reduction, they all have built in filters, and they all have 20 other similar features, and iPhoto work great with all of them already. The reason the iPod was such a success was because it paired a great portable player with great software on the computer.

Potential unique camera features:
HDD - too many battery issues, and response time issues. Plus, when traveling, I take multiple cards and if one fills up, pop in the next card.
Wi-Fi, huge battery issues. I mean a wi-fi camera paired with a wi-fi iPod storage device would conceptually be very cool, but the battery life issues would be huge.

That dosen't mean I don't think Apple has something up their sleeve that none of us have thought of...see: airport express.

Cheers,
hughdogg

Well, Nikon has the (very expensive) D2h with wireless, which is the cat's a**. That said, why couldn't apple come up with a 4 & 5 mp digicam, with built in 2.5gb CF card to store photos and an optional wireless connection. Maybe they co-op with Nikon, and put in a 28-90 AFS lens on the sucker, f. 2.8 and such, and use the Li-ion battery similar to what's in the D70 & D100.... you'd EASILY get 300-400 shots, with the wi-fi. And you could use AE as a bridge to extend your range.

That would be a killer digicam.....

TWinbrook46636

macrumors regular
May 21, 2003
beefcake said:
Seeing as the casing size on the 20 GB won't be changing any time soon, why condense everything on the scroll wheel and leave all that empty space below the screen?

Because the four existing buttons will be needed for new features. ;)

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
Why not both?

Since demand is greater than supply there appears to be room for both companies products. Keep the Hitachi 4GB and insert the 5GB at a significantly higher price point and/or the 2.5GB at a slightly lower price. Keep a higher profit margin on the Seagate drives and any sales are just gravy on top of current Hitachi based iPod mini sales. If customers want to buy them and Apple only stands to make more profit, why not sell them?

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
TWinbrook46636 said:
Not likely. Why?

A) It is only 3200rpm vs 4800 rpm
B) They just spilled the beans and Stevie don't like that

A. RPM's aren't nearly as important on the iPod as on a desktop. First and foremost the iPod is a music player. You don't need a 7200RPM, 5400RPM, or even a 4800RPM drive to transfer a few MB of tracks to RAM.

B. Seagate hasn't spilled anything. You can't get any more vague then this. Apple can screw off. Seagate can run THEIR business any way they like and Jobs can't say squat about it and frankly Seagate or any other company shouldn't let another company be able to dictate how they do business. Again screw apple if they try it.
And if Apple, more like Steve doesn't like it tough ****. Stevie better be careful because if he gets any more pissed the only company he's going to have left to do business with is some company in Iran that sells hard drives based on the Flintstone tablet with a woodpecker inside making the indentations for the data files.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
nsb3000 said:
I think it should be: 2.5 GB: $99
5 GB $199

no way, i'm not plunking down more than 50 cents for no 2.5 gig ipod...

seriously, i doubt there is that much of a price difference between the 2.5 gig drive and the 5 gig drive. i'd guess that we're talking about maybe $75 versus $100 OEM. you can't simply half the price, because the capacity is half.

the best part of this news bit is that Hitachi is seriously ramping up their production, from 200,000 to 2 mil a quarter. that, more than anything should impact the cost of the ipod minis.

seagate's arrival on the market bodes good things in the long run. it won't affect apple in the short run (since they're probably locked into a big order with hitachi) but now, apple has three potential suppliers with different options for drives--more possibilities for the mini.

webman2k

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2004
Wonder Boy said:
to me, a 2.5 seems pointless as a music player. if it went into a apple digital camera, now that would be something.

No way - 2.5 gig iPod mini at $99 - or $150 would be killer. 2.5 gig holds plenty of albums.

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
dongmin said:
the best part of this news bit is that Hitachi is seriously ramping up their production, from 200,000 to 2 mil a quarter. that, more than anything should impact the cost of the ipod minis.

I just wish they can get them out over here (in the UK) sometime soon. I don't need one (I have a 3G 20gig) and I can't justify getting one, but I really want one. If only Apple would get them here soon, before I get control of myself and no longer want one. It doesn't seem like they will be selling them anytime soon, I can't even preorder one, which seems very strange. Maybe they will be updated before they get here.

ccuilla

Cancelled
Dec 19, 2003
Regarding the camera discussion, there are a couple of things that seem possible:

1. No more worries about keeping tracking of memory cards. 2.5GB more than enough until you get to your computer. We have like 4-5 memory sticks ranging from 16MB to 256MB. Just a pain.

2. Simpler device interface. I hate these gadgets with a million stupid buttons. Do to the device interface what they did with iPod. NOTE: This is more true of MiniDV cameras than stills. But...

3. Wireless is interesting idea (and one being bantered about for iPod). Power is a potential problem...however TI has recently announced a lower power WiFi chip. We don't always know what components are in the pipleline for building these devices.

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
Pricing

nsb3000 said:
I think it should be: 2.5 GB: $99
5 GB $199

I think you are close but actually I think it should be like this:

NO GB and a compact flash card insert - this would also provide 35% more battery life if used with flash memory CF cards = $99

I don't see the 2.5 happening because Apple already has a cheap option for a 2.2GB. The majority of people's song collections I know range from 3 - 6 gigabytes.

I think the 5GB (if it turns up) should be priced at $199.

I'm almost sure we will see the iPods (full size) come down in price at the next revision by a factor of $50 each.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Windowlicker said:
you said it! :)) the camera could still be about the size of an ipod (maybe even ipod mini??) you know..

also it wouldn't be that surprising if they some day released one. they already have a great app for digital photos. don't know how competitive those cameras would be though. also 2.5Gb is pretty much for a customer product where 256mb or 512mb is enough. for a system camera 2,5gb would kick ass!

I remember a few years ago I believe Apple said something about making a product for each of their iApps, so a camera wouldn't be too unexpected.
–Chase

bar italia

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2004
From today's Mitch Albom column:

"Tayshaun Prince gets a ring. Watching Prince defend Kobe Bryant was like watching the invention of the iPod; suddenly, everyone's going to want one."

P.S. - For Lord of the Rings types, and non-Americans, this refers to the NBA Finals.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
bar italia said:
From today's Mitch Albom column:

"Tayshaun Prince gets a ring. Watching Prince defend Kobe Bryant was like watching the invention of the iPod; suddenly, everyone's going to want one."

That's scarily true. Here in Long Beach, wherever I go and have my iPod, people are totally lured into Apple's design. You are "cool" if you have an iPod of sorts. Of the 60+ kids on the boys swim team, about 10 of us have iPods. That's huge.

Apple started the music revolution, I hope they keep it up with minis.
–Chase

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.