2.5" HD replacement suggestions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CaptainCanuck, Sep 29, 2006.

1. CaptainCanuck macrumors member

The hard drive on my 12" Powerbook is appears to be slowing dying (see here), so I've begun to shop around for a replacement hard drive. Any suggestions as to which brand (Seagate, Western Digital, etc.) appear to be reliable?

Applecare is expired so I would be installing it myself.

I've also heard that Newegg.com has a good reputation with deals on OEM hardware. Has anyone bought a hard drive through them?

THANKS

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

All drives will run about the same, I find, and everyone has a bias towards a certain company - but as long as you get a drive with a 3 - 5 year warranty, you'll be fine. I recommend going to newegg.com for your drive, it's easy to search, and they have great prices. You might wanna get a faster hard drive while you're at it, to give the ol' Powerbook a bit of a speed boost.

3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I think most around here tend to favor Seagate. Hitachi is well liked as well (this is what I have in my MB). WD gets mixed.. some hate them, some love them.. I've owned many and never had any problems.

Basically, what livingfortoday said is key, though: get a good warranty and you'll be fine (assuming you do backups!).

Oh, and yes, I've bought from newegg on several occasions, including the HD upgrade for my MB. Never had any problems whatsoever. Fairly quick shipping, good packaging, great prices...

4. scott523 macrumors 6502a

Get Seagate, they're the only ones I know to have a 5 year warranty while others have only 3.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

6. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

On my MacBook I replaced the factory 60GB 5400RPM with a
    Has been working quite well :)

7. crea78 macrumors newbie

I was also looking at upgrading my HDD as well for my Macbook. Would it be OK to get the ATA-6 version or is it recommended to get the SATA?

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Only the SATA version will work in a MacBook.

9. CaptainCanuck thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help. Ending up getting the 160GB Seagate Momentus through www.provantage.com, since Newegg won't ship to Canada. Provantage is linked from Seagate's website as being a official distributor, and everything seems to be alright. Luckily it's listed as the same price as on Newegg.

Can't wait until it gets here :D

10. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Does a 2.5" 160GB 7200RPM drive exist right now? I've looked before but couldn't find any...

Upgrading the MacBook's HD is so easy it makes you want to cry with joy :)

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Not that I'm aware of.

12. crea78 macrumors newbie

13. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow