1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

2.5" SATA HDD to iPod for vehicle audio

Discussion in 'iPod' started by xbuster116, Jul 17, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

So I recently replaced my macbook hard drive and put the old one in an enclosure that can be loaded into a front drive bay on my desktop. I really enjoy the portability and it got me thinking...

I was already going to install an aux input in my car so I can hook up an old 4th gen ipod, but I was thinking about trying to install another of those front drive bays in my car and hooking it up to the ipod so that I can easily remove the HD and update my library (the iPod is only 20 GB and my library is 60+ GB). I was thinking of maybe making an enclosure for the ipod hardware that I can put in my dash.

The iPod can plug into the aux adapter and i know they make some zif-SATA adapters for the hard drive, but I also will need to power the hard drive, so I would need some way of connecting the SATA drive to the cars power supply. Its the power requirements that I am unsure of and was wondering if anyone could give me any feedback or advice... or if you can think of any other problems i might run into I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. macrumors member

bump for curiousity