$2,500 spending limit, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mero, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Mero macrumors newbie

Ok, I've been a loyal mac user and specifically Powerbook user for awhile. I started with the Powerbook G4, 500 (original tiBook) and its long passed its applecare warranty plan. Plus, I plan on getting into FCP so i'd like a faster computer for that anyway.

The limit: $2500 (excluding tax)
    The Ideas:

A) MWSF, January 10th purchase the most up to date Powerbook 15" @$2500

B) iMac G5 17", 1.8GHz G5+ 14" ibook, 1.33GHz G4
    1. Wait until January 10th (keynote+expo) to buy these
    II. Buy them now, both at mid product life.

I'm in college, so I get the educational discount.

I'm spending $2500 at Apple on a computer, so don't tell me to go to Hawaii or buy a typewriter...

Suggestions welcome. Keep in mind i'd like good performance, and we don't know what the Powerbook will be like in 'O5. We can, however, guess that its either a G4 or a G5 and it is not likely that they will be over 2.0GHz, and more likely they will be the same speed as the iMac. What are your thoughts?

2. el greenerino macrumors regular

It seems that you want the portability but will that serve FCP the best? I'd just wait and see on the powerbook, and if it isnt updated then you can follow plan B and just wait longer for the new PB. The only thing you'd be losing is time, which you seem to have since you're willing to wait for MWSF. (See you at the keynote!)

3. Mero thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the ibook is for class/in bed stuff. The iMac would have FCP on it. The thing with the mobile for video editing i'd have to plug in 2 LaCie external firewire drives, one 500GBs and one 350 (helping with a documentary). So I could go with the powerbook, but I like the idea of having the stationairy desktop with more power/doesnt over heat, and then popping an ibook in my bag doesnt worry me as much because its half the price of the powerbook... oh and they are better built (well, I had a bad experience with the tiBook :( )

Will the iMac 1.8 be suitable for FCP? I've heard yes, especially if I go buy 3rd party ram (thats what I would do, of course, asap)

4. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

17" iMac and 14" iBook are kind of similar.

Maybe spread the desktop/portable farther apart and get a 20" iMac and a 12" iBook. Use the iBook for portability and the iMac for everything else. Though this will put you over budget a little.

But that is what I got and it works out great. The 12" iBook has the same resolution as the 14", but it is smaller and more portable which is it's primary function. The 20" iMac is much nicer over the 17" (look at both in a store).

5. el greenerino macrumors regular

You sound like you've already convinced yourself. iMac and iBook. All of us seem to be leary of new powerbooks but if you go with just the base configurations w/o edu discount, a 12"ibook and 20"iMac will be $3077.

6. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

You're a college student, break is quickly (if not already) approaching. I wouldn't be in too big of a hurry to buy a few new machines. With the holidays between us and the keynote, it'll go really quickly... just chill out a bit, drink some eggnog and wait for those sweet new machines to be announced.

Make the decision then.. christ, maybe it'll bring a price drop for current machines. :)

7. howard macrumors 68020

howard

I liked this idea very much.

do i need portable power?
    -if you do then immediately waiting for the powerbook is a good idea.

if you went with the imac and ibook i would highly suggest you use your ibook as your personal computer and the imac as sort of a "work" computer. that would save you the trouble of having to "sync" them all the time which can get annoying.

also, do you have a monitor?
    if so you may want to look into a powermac. So much more power and upgradability but if you don't have a monitor forget about it.

also i'd say if you are leaning more toward the imac and ibook, i'd buy them now, if your leaning more toward the powerbook, i'd wait.

8. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

iMac, iBook, iPod, iLife, i-think you may see what steve has to say @ MWSF

9. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

Here's what to do.

Forget about the Powerbooks.

I have been a fan of powerbooks for a LONG time and have mostly used only Powerbooks for ages, uhh infact since I went Mac, I have NEVER had a desktop always Powerbooks.

Don't get a Powerbook!.

I just sold my Powerbook adn got a Powermac. There are important differences.

It isnt that they arent great, they are but they are limited for FCP etc.
    It doesnt matter what they come out with in the near future.
    There is very little chance that it will be a G5 this time around and even if it is, it still is enough.

Get a PowerMac!

The reasons? Dual CPU and HD storage and Ram!

As for costs: Wait till the next speedbumps. Then get a DP 2.0 from the refurbished area on the Apple site. abit lower than EDU!

Then get onto Ebay and get the older Cinema Displays with a little luck you can get one for around 700. I did.

Ok, so when they bring out the speed bumps the 2.0 will be about $1800.
    Less for a refurb! Add an Ebay Cinema and you are close to $2500.
    If pay less for the 2.0 refurb with a little luck and maybe get a good deal for an older Cinema. You will have a bit more for extra Ram! Much needed for any high end app!

Also sometimes in the refurbs you get an BTO that was cancelled. So you may get extra RAM already!

Thats the way to go!
    DO IT.

10. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

LOL, we all want a computer to use in bed, but it really isn't that good for your love life...

11. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

Just what the HELL are you doing to your poor ibook in bed?! I'm sure there is a law somewhere against that sort of thing (probably in Texas) not to mention fears of electrocution. :p :D

12. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Get the 17" iMac and a 12" iBook. Make sure you got bluetooth in both. As for using the iBook it bed, I have mine next to my night stand and I use it there all the time. The 12" iBook is so portable, you'll love it. My next purchase will probably be a 17" iMac this summer.

lasuther

13. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Winter has not started yet... :rolleyes:

;)

me too...

14. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

maybe it's just me

but I don't know too many college students that have TWO computers, let alone two brand new ones. Do you really need two? One just won't cut it? That's a lot of stuff to bring to a dorm and a lot of stuff that could potentially be stolen.

And as everyone else has said, I would wait until at least next summer, you still have two product cycles before you go to school. By that time they might have rev. B G5 PB's out and I think that would be enough power for your needs.

15. Mero thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive already been powerbookless for 3 months and I havent enjoyed it. I have been using windows XP for that extent of that time. I should go 10 months no mac? I cannot do that, sir. Especially since the Dual 2.0GHZ G5 will outperform the Powerbook line for a long time, so i'm not worried. I sent my Powerbook to apple, $350 fixes everything. That will be my baby until January 10th. Then, most likely, a Dual Powermac+3rd party display.