2.7 G5 gives me electric/static shocks !!!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by illustratorDavi, Jul 12, 2005.

1. illustratorDavi macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2004
    North Yorkshire

I've had 3 small shocks from my g5 in the last month since buying my new G5.

1. I was about to install 2gig of ram. I followed the apple instructions and for extra safety from static i used a grounding wrist strap. I had the power plugged in but nothing else and was about to touch the pci to destatic myself when on touching the case I felt a strong buzzing sensation as my fingers touched the case.

2. Last week i was bending over my 20inch alum lcd and i got a quick zap from on the top on the display on my lip.

3. Last night I was plugging in the usb2 cable from my scanner to the front usb port of the powermac. As I tried to get the cable in i noticed small sparks when the end of the cable touched the surrounding case and when i fitted it to the socket.

So I wondered if anyone else had experienced a problem like this ? Is it something to worry about?

I'm thinking that there could be a bare wire touching the case.

I gave applecare a call this morning. No real explanation just suggested there was a problem with my power supply. (oh and apparently i shouldn't use 3gig for multimedia work :D )

2. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

Jan 17, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    David - folks have had similar problems with PowerBooks. I had it when using an outlet that wasn't grounded correctly / had reverse polarity - There are a lot of homes and apts with outlets that aren't done properly. Give an electrician a call and have him check your outlet(s) out / fix them. If your outles are wired / grounded correctly, you'll know you have a hardware problem, but given my experience, I'd start with the outlets. Good luck.
  3. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    perhaps you should unplug the powermac before adding memory? and about #3 i've seen that happen alot, especially with bus-powered devices.