2.7 G5 gives me electric/static shocks !!!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by illustratorDavi, Jul 12, 2005.

1. illustratorDavi macrumors 6502

Hi

I've had 3 small shocks from my g5 in the last month since buying my new G5.

1. I was about to install 2gig of ram. I followed the apple instructions and for extra safety from static i used a grounding wrist strap. I had the power plugged in but nothing else and was about to touch the pci to destatic myself when on touching the case I felt a strong buzzing sensation as my fingers touched the case.

2. Last week i was bending over my 20inch alum lcd and i got a quick zap from on the top on the display on my lip.

3. Last night I was plugging in the usb2 cable from my scanner to the front usb port of the powermac. As I tried to get the cable in i noticed small sparks when the end of the cable touched the surrounding case and when i fitted it to the socket.

So I wondered if anyone else had experienced a problem like this ? Is it something to worry about?

I'm thinking that there could be a bare wire touching the case.

I gave applecare a call this morning. No real explanation just suggested there was a problem with my power supply. (oh and apparently i shouldn't use 3gig for multimedia work :D )

Thanks
    David

2. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

David - folks have had similar problems with PowerBooks. I had it when using an outlet that wasn't grounded correctly / had reverse polarity - There are a lot of homes and apts with outlets that aren't done properly. Give an electrician a call and have him check your outlet(s) out / fix them. If your outles are wired / grounded correctly, you'll know you have a hardware problem, but given my experience, I'd start with the outlets. Good luck.

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

perhaps you should unplug the powermac before adding memory? and about #3 i've seen that happen alot, especially with bus-powered devices.