2 accounts in mail

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by jelloshotsrule, Oct 7, 2002.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

simple question...

i have 2 accounts set up in mail.app. however, the secondary one does not check for mail automatically... i have to select its mail box and check mail for it manually.

in the accounts options thing, there's a "check every x" thing, but it applies to both accounts... and it's set. and it works for one, but not the other.

any ideas as to how i can get them both checking? or better yet, one checking more often than the other....? thanks

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Weird one...

I would say, trash the prefs and re-add the accounts (back up your mail first).

3. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Not only do you need the "check for new mail:" option selected under the basic ->preferences ->accounts menu, but you need to go into each account with "edit" and check

advanced tab -> Include when automatically checking for new mail

It may sound strange that you need to enable this in two places, but i think it is pretty flexible. If you have an account that you do not want to check all the time, or is having problems, then you can uncheck this box.

That should get you up and running.

4. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

thanks peter. i'll check that second one when i get home...

if it's checked and still not doing it... then alas, rower's suggestion might have to happen. or i could just suck it up and check it manually.... but the primary account is down now, so i'm using the secondary one and it's annoying. but tomorrow in theory it won't matter..

anyhoo, thanks

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

If I remember correctly, each time I added an email account to my Mail program (I think I have five accounts now), each and every time I had to manually set their account settings to include when automatically checking for new mail; I don't think it's set to do that by default. So most likely if you didn't set it in the first place then it definitely isn't checked.

Personally, I think there should be a blanket override in the main prefs or at least a way to customize the default settings.