2 Apple TVs in a house

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by UTMAC, Mar 28, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Has anyone tried using 2 apple tvs in the same house? Can it work? I have a 2nd gen Apple TV I want to move to my bedroom tv and buy a 3rd gen Apple TV with HD for my living room. Can I have both in the same house and use from the same computer? Will you be able to select which apple tv you want to air stream to?

2. macrumors 6502

insimbi

Yep, I have the same setup. You can name each Apple TV something different. Mine are Bedroom Apple TV and Family Room Apple TV. Works great with no problems!

3. macrumors G5

Macman45

Yep, I have lounge and bedroom...One is hardwired the other wifi, one ATV3 one ATV2...Works perfectly!

4. macrumors 603

blueroom

Works fine, I'm trying to trade my old ATV2 for an ATV3 as I don't bother with jailbreaks.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info so quick. I love this site, I just got an iMac in January with Apple TV and new iPad when it came out. I don't know why I waited so long but will never go back. :)

6. macrumors G5

Macman45

Aaah, the satisfaction of another happy convert...:D Enjoy!

7. macrumors 68040

maturola

WOrks just fine, i got 2x ATV2 (Both Jailbroken) and 1X ATV3... same house, same Network.

No issues

8. macrumors 6502a

The ability to easily have multiple ATV's is one of the great benefits of the unit.

We have 4 in total, and they work really well. You can start watching something in one room, and then move to another room and the film you were watching picks up where it left off. You can also easily move where you are air playing to easily.

Perhaps the best feature is when using airplay of music from iTunes, you can select multiple ATVs to stream to. We often have music playing from 2 or 3 ATV's during the summer and it keeps in sync really well. It means you can listen to the music wherever you are and it's great for a party.

9. macrumors 68020

bbeagle

I've never tried streaming of music. Great idea. I'll have to try this.

We have 3 Apple TVs, and the biggest benefit for us is ripping DVDs - now all the Apple TVs in the house have instant access to our entire DVD collection without previews, or annoying menus. We're thinking about getting a 4th soon.

10. macrumors G5

Macman45

Yep, the AEBS in my bedroom streams to a large hi fi system...Only snag is I have to grab the remote from the large selection on my bedside table quickly to turn it down....Otherwise....BOOM:eek:

11. macrumors regular

I have 5 going at any one given time. 3 wireless 2 wired so it's fine. 2 old school, 2 ATV2's and 1 ATV3

12. macrumors 6502

insimbi

Damn... 5?

13. macrumors newbie

Hole house audio? I'm figuring you do more than that but is this the reason for 5? I am adding a atv3 soon to the mix of atv2, airport express, and denon avr.

14. macrumors G5

Macman45

Hole house audio, that's what I wanted, according to my neighbours I now have whole street audio....:D

15. macrumors regular

5 TV's is the reason.

I have an Airport Express in the garage for streaming audio.

16. macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Exactly the same configuration I have, five. I could use at least one more, but I'll worry about that when I upgrade one of the ATV2's. Also thinking of adding another TV to the workout room, that would require another ATV. :D

17. dXTC, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

macrumors 68000

dXTC

I have 2 :apple:tvs, and 3 compatible TV sets. The odd one out is in my daughter's room. If we put an :apple:tv on hers, we'd probably never see her again-- hers is the largest percentage of :apple:tv usage in our household. Why? Like bbeagle, we find the instant-on, smart-resume movie collection extremely convenient, and our DVDs (and "skip/forward" buttons) no longer get worn out.

Netflix also works rather well on :apple:tv, at least from our experience. Then again, we're not so picky that we demand 1080p. Heck, most of our movie library was encoded using HandBrake's iPhone/iPod touch preset, and I haven't heard a complaint yet. (The smaller file sizes allow me to fit more movies onto my daughter's touch, and oh, the joys of not having to lug around and hook up a portable DVD player and "books" of DVDs to get scratched up in the car.)

EDIT: Those of you who are reading this and considering getting on the :apple:tv bandwagon should consider Apple's Airport Extreme router; it takes "Wake On WiFi" one step further. It has a built-in Bonjour proxy that, upon receiving a message from an :apple:tv to get a movie from a particular library on a Mac that's in sleep mode, will wake up that Mac, have it send the file, then allow the Mac to go back to sleep.

18. ckd
    macrumors member

You shouldn't even need the Airport Extreme; the ATV2 & 3 also have Bonjour Sleep Proxy support.

19. macrumors newbie

How do you rename them?

Thanks,

David

20. macrumors 65816

marzer

For ATV1 you can rename it from the the device list entry in iTunes. For the ATV2-3 it can be rename from the settings menu on the device itself.

21. macrumors newbie

2 Apple TVs

I have 2 Apple TVs (Gen 1 & 2) connected by ethernet to my LAN. Only one (Gen 1) shows up in my iTunes Devices list????? Same thing happens when they are connected via WIFI. When I use Remote on my iPhone 4s only the Gen 2 Apple TV shows up. What is going on???

22. macrumors 68040

The "new" appleTV's do not show up in iTunes (at least mine don't). They rely on Homesharing. As for the remote, I don't believe the remote app works with the Gen 1 AppleTV's. I have four AppleTV 3's. They all show up in the Remote App, and all rely on Homesharing that I setup in iTunes on my "server".

23. JGdT, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015

macrumors newbie

JGdT

Hello. Trying to set up a second Apple TV on the same router and keep getting the weird message that failed to login to itunes store until the network time is set. My first one is working perfectly and have not found an explanation anywhere, not even in Apple.com. Any ideas???
    Thanks!

24. macrumors G3

rhett7660

Like others have said, Yup! I have two in my house and have setup three in my mom's house. Mom's house is all via WiFi. Two ATV3's and one ATV2.

25. macrumors newbie

I have 4 - one for each TV - work great. Master Library is on a mac mini (2011)