2-Button Mouse Petition

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by akseez, Jan 22, 2005.

1. akseez macrumors newbie

There's a petition for Apple to give up their outdated single button mouse and start shipping 2-button scroll-wheel mice with their machines.

http://www.petitiononline.com/2button/

Please sign it and email anyone you know that would be interested in signing.

Thanks.

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I get the feeling this is something that Apple is going to remain stubborn on...

3. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

I agree, as long as Steve is at the helm Apple will always be 1 button.

'not exactly like multi button BT mice are expensive anyway...just don't look as cool.

4. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Just remembered the Mac Mouse, which does look the part but theres no notches on the wheel so it feels weird.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Just so you know, all online petitions are a complete and utter waste of time, I mean really, Apple are gonna change the habbit of a life time because (maybe) a few thousand put their name on a virtual petition...don't think so.

6. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Their are some nice ones, just not as nice as Apple's.

7. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

The only online-petition I have signed, was Real's against Apple and believe me, I could write a lot of things against Real, it was fun, that's the best petition I have read about, but 2-button mouse? :rolleyes:, When I switched I thought it was the thing I would miss about a mouse but I do like apple's mouse. 2 Years since then.

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Why don't you just go buy one of Microsoft's Intellimouse Wireless Explorers? That's what I'm using with my Mac mini (I already had the mouse and keyboard for my PCs.) It has FOUR buttons and a tilt scroll wheel, and Microsoft gives you the software to make all those controls work in Mac OS X.

I agree with whoever said Jobs won't budge on this. In this particular case, he clearly values form over function.

9. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

NO THERE NOT! there was one for techtv's leo laporte a few years ago and it brought him back to host the shows that were called call for help and the sreen savers.. briefly but at least it brought him back for some times..

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

NO THEY'RE NOT! ;) :p :D

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

LOL. Nice try. A petition is like tryiing to use a feather to move a boulder. Boulder being Steve's stubbornness.

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

N-Button Mouse Petition

There's a petition for Apple (and all PC manufacturers!) to give up their outdated mice and start shipping n-button, scroll-wheel/tilt-wheel, laser-guided, bluetooth wireless mice with their machines.

http://www.petitiononline.com/OMFG/

Please sign it and email anyone you know that would be interested in signing.

Thanks. :D

13. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Quite possible that you 2 good go on for a l o n g time. ;)

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

hehe, no, I'm not *that* childish...

...oh wait :D

15. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

While I don't think that Apple will switch over to a 2 button mouse, I do think that they might add a touch sensitive scroll bar. Maybe it will even be clickable, ala the iPod mini/4th Gen clickwheel.

If it were clickable, I think it would be setup such that it would do the same thing as holding the Command key while clicking. This way you would click the scroll bar down and then click the whole mouse down like normal to 'emulate' a cmmd-click action.

Seems like a nice comprimise to me. I should patent that. =P

Rob

16. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

if it was not for the fact I take any mouse that is ship with a computer and just thow it in a desk draw never to be used again I would think about it because genearl I think they all are pretty weak and are not up to the leval of mice i like (Well went you are comparing the mice the come with computers to closer to top of the line mice at the time it pretty easy to see why)

17. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I really don't understand the attitude towards the one button mouse. (And obviously, if Apple chooses to switch their mouse configuration, it won't be because of an online petition). OS X is not windows- and as such newbs can do everything they need to do without a 'right-click', and experienced users know key commands are faster and offer more options than x to the n mouse buttons.

Being someone who uses key commands for everything, I love the one-button mouse.

And no, I'm not trying to start a debate. I just personally know many people who see no reason for multiple mouse buttons on an OS X system.

18. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i dont get why ppl cant just buy 2 a two button they dont need to force apple to make

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Steve has definitely shown his stubbornness lately. There is a first time for everything.

20. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

I say get the mouse that suits your individual needs. Many people get by with just the single button, and for those who need more buttons, they buy the one that suits them. Why should Apple try to please everyone with a single design when there's so many 3rd party products widely available? I think it would be a wasted effort because of this.

21. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

My thoughts exactly. There's a LOT of choices for 2, 3, 5 button mice out there. Personally, I like my 1 button mouse!

22. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Actually, Steve's stubbornness is like a mountain. Need a nuke to blow it up/move it.

iLike the scroll bar idea, but my trackpad is already clickable, and even click+dragable. Plus iCan turn it off unlike some ~AHEM~WINDOWS~AHEM laptops.

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't know... Mac Mini, iPod Shuffle, single CPU Tower, even the eMac. I'd say he's willing to give a little.

akseez if you don't like it, buy a $20 USB mouse. Apple even sells them in their store. I bought a 5-button mouse for a little over $20, and it works great. Or buy a Mini and use your own mouse.

Besides, some people actually like the 1-button mouse.

24. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Like me!

I use my reg. usb Apple mouse, then use my Wacom tablet. ( a healthy 6x8) and that covers my needs.

kyle

25. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

Umm the 2nd mouse button can not be covered by key commadn where they would be faster. When ever you have to use command click is where you are SLOWER then some using a 2 button mouse because the 2nd button would mean the same thing as command click. Just figure I show the flaw in your agument. when ever you use command click that could of been the 2nd button and it means the same thing.

Dont assume that PC users dont know there keyboard short cuts. A lot of us multy button mouse people know are key comands and use them if they are there but for a lot of stuff the extra mouse buttons are fasters and easier. Scroll wheel is faster than using the keyboard and more exacted. for huge jumps yeah page down but for a lot of stuff the scoll wheel is just better