2 button trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by holysmoke, Sep 20, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Why doesnt apple use a 2-button trackpad? I've noticed that the new mighty mouse does have a right click, even when you use it with a mac. Why doesnt apple integrate that feature into their laptops? I'm really looking to convert, I'm practically sure that I'm gonna buy the macbooks the day they are launched, but this is a minor irritant..

2. macrumors Core

It is. put a second finger on the trackpad, click and you get right click.

3. macrumors 603

richard.mac

the Mighty Mouse and trackpad both have right clicking but its disabled by default (WHY? :mad:). enable it Keyboard & Mouse preferences.

4. macrumors 68040

System Preferences - Keyboard and Mouse - Trackpad - Tap trackpad with 2 fingers for secondary click

5. macrumors newbie

It's been a deliberate design decision on Apple's part, because:
    1. Having two buttons on a mouse confuses people who are new to computers. Tech support becomes tedious when you have to tell people which mouse button to click all the time.
    2. It makes sure that any application programmers make all functionality accessible from the dropdown menus, rather than cheating with secondary click functionality.

6. macrumors 6502a

Because that would be worse than their current trackpad's option to perform the equivalent of a "right-click".

7. macrumors 65816

gusious

I really love that it hasn't two separate buttons like all the other laptops!

8. macrumors 601

eXan

Thank God they don't use 2 physical buttons on the trackpad - the current solution is awesome!

If you want to right click just either tap with two fingers instead of one or put a second finger on the trackpad and press the trackpad button. Scrolling works the same way - move two fingers on the trackpad in any direction you want and it will scroll in that direction.

:) :cool:

9. macrumors 6502

I agree, I love it this way, I would never want 2 buttons!

10. macrumors regular

same here! resting two fingers on the trackpad in order to right click or scroll is heaven!