2 cds in imac slot problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by alaibubu, Mar 21, 2007.

1. alaibubu macrumors member

Oct 26, 2006
    I think my son just managed to put 2 cds into my iMac cd slot. I've tried holding down the mouse during start up and pressing the eject button. The cd tries to eject but mounts back on the desktop.

Any ideas?
  2. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

Nov 7, 2004
    If you really think there are 2 discs in there, take it to a store. Don't try to eject it in case it damages the drive.
  3. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Jan 4, 2007
    Hold right there. My Imac and many other peoples has jammed with just one cd in it. The first thing i would do is get a credit card or something even thinner, I used my plastic driving liscence card, and wedge it between the cd and the side of the driver closer to you and hit the eject button. If you hold down click whilst starting up it will keep trying to eject the CD. Best of luck.
  4. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

Dec 21, 2005
    if its mounting, there's probably just one disc in there
  5. McGarvels macrumors 6502

Nov 10, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    Agreed, I don't think there would be two CDs in there if one is successfully mounting. Regardless, you should take it to the nearest apple store. Better safe than sorry.
  6. crazycat macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2005
    Please follow these steps to get the cd out of the imac.

1- Have someone carry the imac and as if it was laying on its screen but not touching the ground/floor.

2- Click the eject button.

(if step number 2 does not work do step number 3)

3- Have someone carry the imac as if it was layign on its back but again not touch the ground/floor, click eject.

There is not way 2 cd's can fit in side the slot, its most likely one cd that is being block and the force of gravity will be enough. It has worked for a friend of mine, good luck.
  7. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Jan 4, 2007
    Yeah you can pick the thing up and drag it all the way there or just muck around with a card for a couple of minutes and DIY. They are going to do exactly the same thing at the store, you are going to have to pay to get there, take time out of your time, and yet theres NO WAY they'll be able to deny you your warranty as it doesn't leave any obvious signs of tampering.