2 Computers, 1 iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Si., Sep 21, 2006.

1. Si. macrumors member

May 18, 2006
    Hi all,

Just wondering if it's possible to use my iPod Nano on 2 different iTunes installations (one for me on my Mac, one for the Wife on her PC).

What I want to do it share the iPod between us, so I can plug it into mine and have my songs/Playlists then she can plug it into hers and have it load up her songs/Playlists.
  2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    I dont think its possible without some major headaches. Macs use a different drive format than PCs so certain features will not be available on the comp that it is not formatted for. Plus some other stuff that Im not sure about. :D I wouldnt advise it.
  3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    The only way you'll be able to do it is via manual sync, i.e. no automatic music migration and manual loading of playlists, which does away with many of the nice features of iTunes.
  4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

May 28, 2005
    Only unless I missed it, there is no manual sync in iTunes 7.:mad:
  5. iflipper macrumors member

Jan 11, 2006
    Leeds, UK
    ? I did this with my nano as I have too much music to go on at once.
  6. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2004
    ct, us
    you missed it. :)
  7. Angelece macrumors newbie

Sep 13, 2006
    On the main summary page of the ipod it says manually sync songs. That just means you have to drag and drop new songs onto the ipod. You will want to make sure you format the ipod to the windows machine first if it is not already formatted to it.
  8. kerpow macrumors 6502

Jan 16, 2004
    Which computer is the iPod formatted on? If you formatted it on the PC there'll be no problem, you can listen to music on the iPod and add music to the iPod from either computer.

If you formatted it on the Mac the PC won't be able to read the HFS+ file system used on the iPod and you will need to buy a program called Xplay.