2 Displays to a powerbook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mashinhead, Jul 22, 2005.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I currently have a powerbook and a 20" cinema display. I want to buy another 20 inch display and hook it up to the powerbook. i called the apple store and they said in theory you can, if you hook it up using an s-video out. But ACD don't support s-video.

if i bought a dvi splitter like this: http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&partno=01700&rsite=f.01700 would and bought a second display, with a 64mb Vram card, could i power two displays. does anyonone know, or use two displays with a powerbook?

2. EasyC macrumors newbie

I don't if it is possible or not, but I would probably be safe saying that the 64mb vram wont be able to let you use the two 20's as you would like to. I would also say IF it worked your powerbook would be hot enough to scramble eggs.

3. kant macrumors 6502

A dvi splitter would just get you a mirrored image on both 20 inchers.

4. 40167 macrumors regular

Well theres a problem with the S-Video setup, in theory it would work... but svideo doesnt do very high resolutions... I would get a usb to vga adapter or so; then possibly vga to dvi; but even then the usb ones i think only do like 1200xsomething max.

So if I were you, id use the built in display and the 20inch... unless having two 20inch is mission critical, but I hightly douth you will find a solution that gives a high enough resolution to both external displays.

5. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Good call, i think this is what i'm looking for. thanks. The only thing i can't make out is, do i connect one to the dvi currently in the powerbok and one to through the PC card slot, or both through the pc card slot?

6. risc macrumors 68030

risc

1 in each based on what I've read.

7. 1nsanity macrumors regular

I thought I was crazy with wanting to put 2x20" acd to my powerbook, good to see I am not alone with this crazy idea.

I have read a lot on the villagetronic VTbook and it does exactly what its suppose too.

Basically just like risc said one monitor through the apple dvi and one throught the dvi on the vtbook.

Villagetronic also has appz for multiple display organisation I think, newlly release too. There are other produits that can do what the villagetronic does but trust me the are so expensive.

Anyway if you get 2x20ACD make sure to post pics, I'll be envious that's for sure ;)

8. 1nsanity macrumors regular