2 Docks!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aaagat111, Feb 12, 2006.

1. aaagat111 macrumors regular

aaagat111

Is it possible to have more than 1 dock. I tried to search for an app to do this but could not find any.

I want to have one dock on the bottom, and one on the left, both for different types of apps. Any links or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

AAA

2. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I do not think this is possible. Never seen anything like what you are describing.

3. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

This is a popular idea (i think) and i believe i have heard this before. But, i don't think its possible. Maybe 10.5.

4. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I never thought about this before but that really is an excellent idea IMO. Someone should come up with an app or hack to do that. I would get a lot of use out of that.

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

There is a program that is called DockDockDock that give you to have more then one dock, but you can only have one dock at a time.

6. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

I think it might be nice to have the main Application dock positioned on the bottom but flush with the left side and have all the windows you have minimized on the bottom but flush to the right. Kinda sounds cool

7. iShane macrumors 6502a

I would never want this. I would get so mixed up.

8. aaagat111 thread starter macrumors regular

aaagat111

Popup Dock

After some more searching on this topic I found a program that accomplished this task. (It is shareware though)

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25005

it allows you to have 1 dock which you can place anywhere or hide on the left or right side, if you do not register

and if you register, you can have an unlimited number of docks anywhere.

Worth a try.

-AAA

9. mokeyjoe macrumors member

You can do it on PC with RKLauncher. But I guess that isn't really what you're after. ;)

10. alexlin9008 macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure all those ones are for PPC. Any for intel?

11. alexlin9008 macrumors newbie

Thats good, but I think it only lets you run 1 dock at a time. I want to run 2 docks at a time, one on the side hidden with some extra apps that there isnt much space for on the first dock.

12. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

There are several ways to solve this problem ...

1) You probably have the "Open URL" service in your Services menu. You can open TextEdit and type:

file://Macintosh%20HD/Applications/Journler.app

then select the text then choose "Open URL" In this case, Journler opens. Of course, you need the path correct and the correct spelling of the app. You could create a page of these file links with TextEdit and you'd be good to go.

2) Prefer a more Mac-like click and go? Caboodle and similar applications have the capability to create "links" in the text. You can type: Journler, select, then choose the "Link" button and enter:

file://Macintosh%20HD/Applications/Journler.app

I have a page of secondary apps on a Caboodle page. Caboodle's usually open so its an easy way to get programs I don't keep in my dock.

And if you really need a dock-like appearance, you can paste in an icon, select it and make it a link.

3) And lastly, I have a folder of lesser used apps inside my Applications folder. I put an alias in the sidebar portion of a Finder window. This secondary group of apps is always available then ...

None of these are docks, per se, but they might come close to getting what you want ...

mt

13. alexlin9008 macrumors newbie

OK that made 0 sense. But I solved it with DragThing. It lets you put icons and skin it and everything. Now I have 2 docks :D. But dragthing functions slightly differently and isn't as good as the original. If someone knows how to actually have 2 original leopard docks open, please tell.

14. rachelscat macrumors newbie

re: 2 docks

this doesn't answer your question, and it might be very obvious, but I thought I would mention it anyways. I solved the same issue through stacks. I have a folder (or 'bin' rather) for apps, docs, downloads, as well as special folders all over in my stacks while I leave the dock for whatever I want, which isn't too much but still more than I need, and yes, I am a computer user, not a netbook user. I have found stacks to be great in solving issues like this.

I think multiple docks would only come in useful is you are a programer (a dock for those apps), a webdesigner (a dock for those apps) and so on.

Sorry for stating the obvious, but it works for me. Also, I and other mac users I know stay away from third party programs alltogether, I don't care if they are sponsered by an Apple download page or not.

Regardless, I don't think even Snow Leopard would consider this option.

15. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

This would actually come in handy a LOT if you used your computer at work and at home.

You could have one dock for home and one for work, and you could have all the apps you use in each situation. For apps you use for both, they could reside on both docks.

It would be a lot easier than using a dock with a whole medley of apps, half of which don't apply to your current situation.