$2 extra for an iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sdashiki, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Just FINALLY ordered my iMac last night.

Since I sold my computer thru ebay, I had the money sitting in my PayPal accnt.

And I also have the PP mastercard so why not use that to pay for the computer. Plus I get 1% back, which offsets the fee from accepting the computer payment...

Anyway, I look at my charges and I see $1 charged twice to my account?

Granted, I got 2 pennies out of it, but wtf?!

EDIT: too antsy, its a typical validation charge, duh.

2. frojas macrumors newbie

For some reason apple likes to put preauthorization charges on credit cards. These charges are used to make sure that your credit card is valid. I don't know why they would use two of them though. But they should go away in a couple days.

3. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

A lot of companies do this not just Apple. It's the banks/cc companies worst nightmare combined with people being able to access their statements online. You'll never see these on your paper statement, only online. They can't really exclude them online though because they are a transaction and it's up to Apple (or whatever company makes the charge) to undo it.

It's always happened. Consumers didn't know until online banking.

5. BenHoleton macrumors regular

Did you buy Apple care or any software? that could explain the second $1 charge. But yes, they should go away in a couple of days.

6. shecky Guest

shecky

i had the same thing when i bought my MBP. seems to be par for the course.

7. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Nope, simple CTO 20" iMac

i still have the software from my last mac, and ive never needed applecare beyond the year.

8. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I've never needed it either... but I've always had it. Just recently I had to fix a 13 month old powerbook (HD died) for my department because they forgot to buy apple care. Lucky for them, it was just an HD... but still, I had to open it up etc. which isn't always the safest thing to do. If apple messes it up, at least they can pay for it...

Just my 2cents.

YT

9. acoustics940 macrumors member

Almost every place I have ordered online from takes $1.00 then redeposits it to make sure it is valid. No big deal how would you like it if someone bought something from you and you ran the card and it wasnt valid.

10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Don't get your panties in a bundle, you will notice the charges are pending, the $1 preauthorizations never fully post, they just expire after 5 days (I think). Most gas stations do this too when you pay at the pump - I only paid attention when one gas station I went to would do a preauth for $100 instead of $1.

11. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I hope no one sees this thread as "WTF APPLE WTF DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING!?"

i was just asking because Im antsy about getting the machine and wanted to share my excitement.

i dont care about $2, and I figured it was a validation charge of some kind that will be removed by the time it ships.

12. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Yeah, when I ordered my MBP, they charged $1 twice, and also charged $15 and some change.. strange.. but they replaced it all about two weeks later.