2 Fold or Not 2 Fold

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by doctorhook, Sep 13, 2003.

1. doctorhook macrumors member

There is this nice looking fellow who wants us all to know that: "If you don't Fold, a cute and cuddly kitten dies! How could you let that happen? That's just sick! What kind of sick freak are you for not Folding? Jeez! Fold for Team 3446, for the love of God!"

DO NOT be fooled by him! He is bluffing. He doesn't even have a pair.
    I warned you.....

doctor hook

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

How dare you! Of course I have a pair of lovely coconuts! And Fold, damn you! Each day you don't Fold, a kitten dies of starvation!

3. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I bet this thread get closed down right soon.

It is kinda sad to me that the general opinion here is that if you don't fold, you're some kind of baby killer.

It kinda makes the folding people look a bit radical to outsiders. But that's just me.

I mean, i'm sure everyone here does something good for their society and their community, and everyone has some altruistic outlets.

That said, you can't do everything all the time, and i'm SURE there are people who, despite the relative ease of folding, just do "enough" with their busy lives that they can't justify something else.

Plus, for me, it seems like 99% of the talk about folding is how "we're yellow again!" and "the new g5s must really help out a lot" and all sorts of bragging rights statistics.

I've talked to a few people (mr. macman) who really seems to be folding in rememberance of someone who's suffering a terminal disease, and helping find a cure.

Personally, I tend to gravitate towards causes that have affected me personally, either through experience, or internally, with something happening to me.

Therefore, I tend to get involved with different causes. That said, i'm doing my part, the folding kiddies are doing their's, and we're all diong something positive for society as a whole.

That said, one must be cautious of the time they give for causes, for burnout leads to bitterness.

As it stands, some of the things I volunteer for don't neccessarily leave me the desire to fold. Not that I think it's a bad thing, but just as a folder might not want to go and teach art to deaf kids.

I wouldn't wanna do something just to do it, I wanna do something to learn. And the amount of time that I would spend learning about the causes, what makes it tick, etc etc etc etc would make me take away from causes i'm previously comitted to.

And to me, that's not very productive. So i choose not to fold. Does that make me bad? In the eyes of some, sure.

But not in mine. :) I'm very confortable and confident that my more hands on volunteering approach is more suited to my personality. It's all relative. :)

I just wish some of the folding people could understand that and not prejudge those who, in all honesty, aren't interested in participating in their cause. Not because they don't agree with it, but because they have other things which they feel more drawn to.

It's personal opinion. And that's ok. It's what makes the world go round. :)

4. chadfromdallas macrumors member

umm, yea..I think they were joking around.... ;) lol

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i just find it interesting that so many of the pro-folding crowd are unwilling to admit the performance hit that running in the background will present. i had to stop after i couldn't play the most simple shockwave game, or a quicktime movie, etc... folding choked my computer. granted it's somewhat old, but still: there are other reasons for not folding than just being an *******.

edit: for the record, despite how bad that looked, i wasn't pointing that comment at moxey... as usual i wasn't reading other people's posts first :)

pnw

6. chadfromdallas macrumors member

You can adjust the percentage of CPU it uses, check the options.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Since when have I been unwilling to admit that there is a performance penalty? I think there are good reasons to fold--just look at my adoptive dad's memory loss. I'm hoping that sometime in the future, people won't have to suffer as he and my adoptive mum do. It's a shame.

By the way, cats make for great Chinese food. Ask anyone eating in Philly's Chinatown around 1989-1990. :D

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i never said you in particular :) and i, too, look forward to a genetic higher risk for many diseases that could be affected by this research. I'm just saying that people who don't participate shouldn't be ostracized by those who have decent hardware.

:)
    pnw

9. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but so what. I can take it (i think).

I started to fold. Why? Because I was running SETI, and someone said along the lines of "What is more important, finding aliens, or saving humans?" So I decided to start running F@H. Now look, I didn't run SETI to find aliens, I ran it to look at pretty colored graphs as a screen saver. I did it for my pure satisfaction.

With folding, I was getting no where. I had no progress in 2 hours. In retrospect, I guess something went wrong, but it was very discouraging. Someone told me to turn of the graphical client and just the terminal thing to get it working faster. Well, I am sorry. Call me selfish, but I want to look at something. I want a nice rotating spinning DNA thing. That is why I tried to fold. No for some grand altruistic deed, but for a nice picture.

Solution: Get a nice screen saver. :)

10. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah G5 went a bit overboard with the killing kittens thing, but really.

People die of cancer, alzheimer's and thousands of cows have been affected by Mad Cow Diease.

I find *this* the main factor in why I fold, not the Points (though they are nice) and not helping the team (again just another plus), those shouldn't be a main reason.

IMHO, but I know people like to look at pretty stuff and/or want to help MR anyway they can, that is great.

11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ahahaha - thanks for the laugh there at the end paul :D

I've turned off folding from time to time when I have to render something overnight or longer. This weekend I've got an animation at work rendering for about 50 hours, so I'll be down for a couple days. The thing is, I'll start it up again tomorrow when I go to check on the completion and still get the WU's done in time.

So its not that big a deal, you just have to manage it once in a while.

D

13. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Dude, my sig is just a joke, I don't really care either way. I just started folding both because my grandmother is dying of illness so even if it is a tiny thing to help, I'll do it, and plus, just to support the MacRumors team. I don't care either way. Heck, I don't even care about kittens, either. Go to a nice Chinese restaurant and eat a kitten or two for all I'm concerned.

(P.S.--I do not advocate the eating of kittens nor endorse the act of eating kittens.)

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Hey, if you want to be an ostrich, fine. I don't think anyone should tell you what to do and that you should blindly follow it. If that was the case, I'd be using Safari for web browsing. ;)

15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

But Safari is better.

:eek: :p

Powerbook G5 -- YOU SICKO, THOSE POOR KITTENS!

:rolleyes:

edit: CODE ERROR!

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Actually, it is--it expired. :D

17. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah really.

Gotta get up to date!

v85.5

Attached Files:

18. bertinman macrumors 6502

I have to admit, I started folding to look at the pretty pictures too...

I then started overclocking my system to see how fast I could fold. Shortly after that I got the idea to put it on all my comps at work to help the team get recognized.

I think I got into the competitive aspect when I saw how it was helping the research. If you get people to be on the team and give them goals, like doing better than another team, the whole research does better--and I really liked that idea.

You should fold if and only if you want to, and that doesn't even mean you fold all the time if you fold at all. Even if you folded once and then stopped, your name is on the list and the team is grateful for what you gave to it.

2 fold of not 2 fold: thats a choice you can make every time you startup or leave your computer. Mc68k made some great scripts to help out in starting and stopping of the program. I'm sure he made them because they were needed, especially when he needed to unwind from work with a game ;).

19. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I don't fold but I was under the impression that it only runs on idle CPU, so there shouldn't be a performance hit.

20. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Or the fact that Chinese don't eat kittens I hope.

21. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

On a PC that is true, but on the mac when playing games there will be a slight "chop" about every second. I just turn it off when I'm playing games on my mac

22. joeyjojoe macrumors regular

Well I got my AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz working on it (I just started yesterday), and so far I've got 80 in 12 hours. Is that good?

23. bertinman macrumors 6502

80 what? thats good if it was points :)

is your folding username joeyjojoe too?

24. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Probably 80/250 or 80/100 or something like that, I wish stanford had it say something like (1/53) where the WU is worth 53 points, so people don't get confused about why their 400 WU is worth less than their 250 WU

25. joeyjojoe macrumors regular

yeah it was 80/250. i don't know what that means. and yes my folding name is also joeyjojoe (i'm folding for this group ... or at least i think i am).