2 G4 iBook 12"; 2 pink screens

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Lito, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Lito macrumors newbie

I recently took delivery of a 12" G4 iBook. I was so happy till I realized something about the screen: it had a pink cast, as well as very low contrast making everything look flat. And Pink.

I got onto Apple and they arranged for it to be inspected. They must have agreed with my assessment as I was offered a repair or replacement.

I received the replacement iBook this AM: and you guessed it - also pink.

Side by side with my old G3 icebook the difference is marked. And I prefer the screen appearence of the old iBook.

Could it be that the price drop on iBooks is consequent to a drop in quality of screen parts?

I will be returning this iBook. And then I walk away.

2. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Re: 2 G4 iBook 12"; 2 pink screens

NO.
    Apple sells tons of iBooks and they are generally quite excellent.
    PINK? That's new...and strange. Do you have an Apple Store or authorized dealer in your area so you can take your iBook in with you and compare it to a display model?
    Regardless, keep after Apple until the PINK goes away and you are another satisfied customer.

I have always been pleased with AppleCare warranty service. After I got my iBook, the battery latch screw broke, so I had to send the whole book in for repair. When it came back, Apple had not only replaced the latch screw (or whole battery?) but the motherboard and something else major that showed up faulty when they did a thorough hardware diagnosis. There was no indication of a problem before, but the "motherboard" problem for my model has since come up, resulting in the current service agreement with Apple.

Whether you have problems during the first year of covered warranty with a laptop or not, it is very VERY wise to purchase extended 3-year AppleCare coverage because if anything ANYTHING goes wrong during the 2nd or 3rd year, it will cost way more than $350 USD to fix or repair, and lots can always go wrong on any laptop by any manufacturer.:eek:

When you buy "insurance" or a warranty, you are betting ($350) that something WILL go WRONG, and the Insurance Carrier or Manufacturer (APPLE) is betting that NOTHING will go wrong. Especially when you consider the potential cost of repairs on a laptop, you are placing a very smart bet because the cost of that protection to you is reasonable (at only $175 per year for the extra 2 years) when compared to the potential cost of repairs. :)

3. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

It's not a problem of cheap parts, it's a problem of faulty parts.

The same thing happened to my 500mhz iBook G3 in April of 2002. The ribbon that connects the screen to the motherboard was dying, and it caused the screen to have a pink color.

4. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

5. Mac/PC Dave macrumors newbie

I would like to point out that i have had an ibook from the first day that they were introduced. My last ibook was a 500mhz g3. I had never had any problems with them at all. The only explination that i can give for the screen being pink is the settings for the screen. If you go through the prefs and change the color, you might beable to fix the problem. If not that apple must have gotten bad ribbon or screens from their supplier, which would suck!!:(

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

hey did you calibrate your iBook LCD?
    cuz if you didnt and youre complaining about the lcd...man...
    :p

i think the monitor calibration thing is in display prefs or somewhere in your utilities folder.

7. Lito thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay:

the first iBook was pink - as verified by Apple tech.

I was dispatched a replacement, which I thought was also pink. I was being paranoid and my judgement was awry.

Fact is: this screen is brighter than my G3 twin USB, and has a lower default contrast. So it does look different - but it isn't faulty (thank Jobs).

I'm happy now with my shiny new G4 iBook!

Can anyone give me a heads up on how to dial up the contrast without having to go through the lengthy calibration? Using the non iBook specific sRGB profile is already an improvement and points to how it could be...

Apologies to all for my apoplexy at the start of this thread, I was in a bit of a state, and thanks for all your feedback - much appreciated,

8. cmx08 macrumors regular

THIS IS RIGHT

Apple install by mistake
    pink panther instead of the
    mac panther

whahahhaha, this is new for me also. mine is a bleach mac panther. all white and nice.

Luck 2U =P