Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daggett2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
i'm considering buying a new emac and a certain reputable apple reseller tells me it can support 2GB RAM. this is nice since my only issue with the machine is the listed 1GB RAM limitation. thing is, i can't find anyone else who will come out and say that 2GB is ok. this particular reseller says the listed 1GB RAM is a conservative spec and this is a safe thing to do. can anyone offer any insight?
thx in advance

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
I believe the retailer is...

Correct.

The eMac (2005) has two dimm slots both capable of supporting a 1gb chip.

Good luck!

daggett2 said:
i'm considering buying a new emac and a certain reputable apple reseller tells me it can support 2GB RAM. this is nice since my only issue with the machine is the listed 1GB RAM limitation. thing is, i can't find anyone else who will come out and say that 2GB is ok. this particular reseller says the listed 1GB RAM is a conservative spec and this is a safe thing to do. can anyone offer any insight?
thx in advance

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
RGunner said:
Correct.

The eMac (2005) has two dimm slots both capable of supporting a 1gb chip.

Good luck!

This is great! As I am buying an eMac very, very soon!

Awesome.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
With the money you would spend on 2GB of RAM, you could probably get a low-end iMac.....

2GB is unnecessary for most people.

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
I fully agree

and they lowered the price on the Refurb site yesterday... ($49 across most models).

combatcolin said:
The iMac would make a much better choice.

And if you can afford it, go for the 20" model, i know its expensive but its worth it.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
daggett2 said:
thx in advance
It was confirmed by reader reports on xlr8yourmac.com that 167MHz f.s.b. eMacs can take up to 2GB of RAM.

You can never have "enough" money, hard drive space or RAM, so congratulations-in-advance for maxing out the eMac. 2GB is a good amount for OS X and it'll make your eMac experience great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.