2 GHz 20" iMac for $1499 ???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ibook30, Oct 6, 2005.

1. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

I got a kick out of this... A local retailer is advertising a 2 GHz - 20"iMac for $1499. The circular went out to millions in the area ! I'm certain it's a mistake,,, but should I go down there and demand my iMac ??

All their other prices were in line with the Apple Store, except this one.

2. Bear macrumors G3

You're taking the time to post.. If I wanted one, I would've been down at the store the moment I saw the price.

3. robcts macrumors regular

4. ibook30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ibook30

True ! And I'm in the market- but do they have to honr the price published? In theory here, I'm not expecting free legal advice. I assume it's a goof! Some poor ad designer is getting fired right now...

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Most places will still an advertisement correction somewhere in the store, like the service counter (or next to where they post advertisements.)

The last I can remeber is Sears making a major goof and honoring it.

But most places now just print a disclaimer on the advertisements.

6. ibook30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Sun Baked- Thanks for your experience. I think you are right - flush goes my hopes.

BUT- I feel silly, I just looked at the ad again- it's not $1499 - They are advertising a 20 inch 2 GHz for $1299 ! That's $500 off an iMac !!! Oh man- I should have run down there with the ad - I'm sure they would appreciate me pointing it out,,,

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

>ibook30

You will probably see a couple errors built into every single grocery store advertisement circulars in the newspapers and mailboxes.

The stores tend to post corrections every week, but you have to wonder why they don't fix these mistakes...

Well Wal-mart grocery and the "other" stores that guarantee to match competitors advertised prices are probably good reasons to sneak in some errors. ;)

If they want to price match and steal business, make it hurt. :D

These grocery stores aren't nailed, as long as they don't keep making the "same error" every week -- if they do, the court tends to rule against them when you take them to court.

Seems a Chevrolet dealer here got nailed and was forced to sell a loaded full sized V-8 truck for the price of a bare bones V-6 -- since no truck never-ever ended up for sale at that price (the old 1 for sale at this price.) Was always just sold, but keep being offered every week for 6 months.

8. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I think theres some horrible, horrible catch.

9. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

Yes, they require your first born :confused:

10. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I think if it is a posted price, they have to honor it. It probably differs from state to state, but I think thats how it goes. If nothing else go resell it on ebay for a profit.

11. ibook30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Aaaahhhhhh - the sweet smell of profit.... if I bought three I could make like...
    I'll let you know tomorrow!

12. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

There are two general possibilities: either the ad is correct, in which case you should go buy one, or the ad is incorrect. If it is incorrect, and it was a mistake, generally the seller does not have to honor the mistaken price. As pointed out above, generally there will be a correction notice posted somewhere in the store.

Best,

Bob

13. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I think its all a conspiracy, and the "Mistake" is there on purpose so that people come rushing to the store... Muahahahahaha!

*shifty eyes*

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I don't know if I'm falling for it. There is no way anybody is making 650 off any iMac than Apple themselves. If you actually go down there and it's legit I'll be amazingly surprised. Actually I encourage you too, I would be curious to see their reasoning.

And just a note, don't be surprised if their is a disclaimer included, the base iMac model is $1299.

jon

15. ibook30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ibook30

You are right on - the base model is the advertised price of the "premium" model described. It's gotta be a mistake. I dunno what Apple charges the retailers, but at 30% off - this company would definitely take a hit.

There was no disclaimer on the portion of the ad I read- but this was a BIG circular- it was distributed by mail - and I have worked in advertising for - too long - and know these things are extremely expensive (I sound cocky - sorry, but it's accurate info !) anyway -- it was a big expensive ad,,,, and maybe somewhere on it it says "Advertised prices not guaranteed ,,,,sucka"
    I'll at least give 'em a call tomorrow and post the answer. Appreciate all the response.

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

It's probably 1 of 3 things.

a. It's stolen
    b. It's a mistake
    c. They like loosing money.

jon

17. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i know the grocery store we go to has to honor any mistakes in their advertising. You could try for it

18. Decahedron macrumors regular

right as you enter immediatley ask to see the manager. point i tout and seriously spend like an hour or so complaining...say that you are getting it as an early present and you already told your niece/nephew that they would be getting one... seriously if it takes an hour of complainign to save like 600 bucks go for it

19. ibook30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ibook30

For anyone still interested, I called and sat on hold - had to get back to work. I will check it out tonight in person - but the company is not local - they may have a location in your area - google "micro center".

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I just checked the website for the one sort of near where I am... I think you might have read incorrectly-- the 20" 2.0GHz iMac is listed as $1799.

21. ibook30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Yeah - the website is correct,

but a national mailer went out with a price of $1299!!! Silly rabbits,..

Edit: I called it a national mailer, and it has all the hallmarks of one, but I only know for sure it went out to the 2-3 million in my area.

22. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

In a nutshell, no, they don't have any obligation to honor the incorrect price in the circular. This is from Micro Center's Terms & Conditions policy...

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would certainly go down if I was in the market for a G5 iMac. Would only purchase one and enjoy it myself. Will be interested to hear what you find out.