2 Gig or not 2 Gig, that is the question.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by floatingspirit, Dec 8, 2004.

1. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

Yet another Ram thread...

I got a 1.6 G5 powermac with 512mb. I run Classic with Quark and Nisus simultaneously with OS X Nisus, Word, iTunes mail yadiyadiyada.... iPhoto has about 2000 pics too.

Am I wasting my money upgrading to 2.5 gigs versus 1.5 gigs?

I know the adage is more ram more speed, but is it worth the money for one on a slight budget? It's like 200 vs. 400 dollars at OWC. Thanks for any input, particularly personal experience with similar upgrades.

2. advres Guest

advres

More RAM is always better, like you said, but for what you are doing I think 2.5G is a major waste of money.

3. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

EDIT: OK I was on the phone when I responded and now I get that you only have 512 currently. I thought you were trying to go to 2.5 FROm 1.5

My mistake.

1.5 works for me!! :)

4. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I think that either will work for you, but if you really want 2.5 it certainly won't hurt. Budgetarily speaking (look, I made up a word) I'd go with the 1.5 though.

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

512MB is way too little. For what you are doing, it is at least.

1.5 GB should be great.

Simple test: Restart. Work normally for about 10 minutes. Go into the Terminal (Applications->Utilities) and type "top" but without the quotes. You will get a readout of memory and CPU usage. Look at the pageout reading. If that is more than about 5000 then more RAM could be a good idea. More than 10000 is a must. The number in the parenthesis is the current number of pageouts you are generating.

Basically, 0(0) is the best. I usually get that with my PowerBook (768MB of RAM). But a few pageouts is fine. (like, 4(0) is ok.) But if you get 204322(1331) then you need RAM. Ever see an eMac on 128MB of RAM running OS X that hasn't been restarted in a week? That's how much it pages out when you run Final Cut Pro on it. (I got that off of of my school's eMacs, in the video production lab)

6. floatingspirit thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, very clever. LOL Nice one....but I need an "either or" answer rather than a "both" answer...

7. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Something that will give you an even better idea of how much to get is a program called Do I Need More Memory. It goes as far as to tell you how much you are going over what you have.

It can be found here.

8. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Why not upgrade to 1.5 .... Can't you always goto 2.5 later?

Regarding Mechcozmo's remark .... I have 71272(0) ... Assuming this is good though 0 (0) is better?

9. advres Guest

advres

Your school uses eMacs for video production? ouch!

10. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

If it was me, I'd just upgrade to 1GB. Is 1.5 or especially 2.5 really necessary? It doesn't seem like it would make that big a difference, but maybe it does and I just don't know how fast OS X can get :p

11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Assuming that you restarted (which clears everything-- like starting at 0(0) FYI) and then did ~10 minutes of work...

Yeah, more RAM would be good to have. It doesn't have to be 0(0) remember, but lower is better. So basically, you had a total of 71272 times in which you used your hard drive as RAM-- aka, pageout, aka swapfile, aka, Virtual Memory. But you were not actively paging out, which is fine... you normally don't unless you open a program and watch.

700Mhz 128MB of RAM (some have 256...) and 40 GB hard drives. OS 10.1 and 10.2 on most of them, 10.3 on two. (only 12 total! rest of school is horrible WinTels...)
    They are the only Macs that I know that will actively freeze up. As in, daily you can have issues with them. Sigh...

12. floatingspirit thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, the thing is, whatever I get, will become the new maximum Ram for my eventual iMac G5, so I'm thinking big. Sounds like I would be fine with one point something gigs...thanks a lot guys

13. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

I use Quark and Photoshop regulalrly on a 1.8 G5 with 512mb and it runs fine.