2 hour battery life for video on new iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by rdweaver, Oct 14, 2005.

1. rdweaver macrumors member

Having just read the initial review on ilounge.com of the new iPod, I'm dissapointed to learn the battery will only last for 2 hrs when watching video. I guess I'll stick with my PSP for video, which gives me between 3-4 hours and a better screen.

2. cube macrumors G4

3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

2 hours....that is pretty poor, would definatly put me off buying it if i were planning to use it for video,

SHadow

4. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Well the 60GB version has 3 hours instead ;)

5. TobyM macrumors member

sad, but true:

30gb: 14 hours music or 2 hours video
    60gb: 20 hours music or 3 hours video

these are the official specs from the apple site.

that´s even less than my psp.
    but...who cares. i won´t watch video for more than 3 hours, maybe 30mins when waiting for a bus or sitting in the train.
    and 20 hours music is nice.

6. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Don't you just hate people who shout the titles :rolleyes:

With the initial novelty of video capability on the iPod calming down I think 2 hours is fine for watching video, I mean who's going to watch an entire DVD on an iPod anyway? Besides up to 20 hours of music is sweet.

7. wide macrumors 6502a

Apple is trying to make us a charge-centric society. Slowly, they will change the way we run our lives....

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I've got two shouty threads in a row on the front page now. It's just not acceptable, stop shouting.

2 hours, 3 hours, who cares? Your iPod can play video! That's pretty bloody cool right there!

9. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

It's probably more like up to 2 hrs. I wouldn't be surprised if you get less. I'm gonna wait a while before I jump on this bandwagon, I want to see what the user reviews are like.

10. Cfg5 macrumors regular

I was kinda disappointed when I heard this, but it makes sense. The backlight is probably always on when watching video and it keeps on having to access the harddrive.

11. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    It's the same with laptops. You play video it's gonna waste the battery faster than playing music. That's just the way computers and their batteries work right now. The more intensive the tasks are for the processor, the more energy it has to consume to keep doing those tasks.

I think people's expectations of this device are what's horrible. The iPod plays video. Jesus. You just can't make people happy. I dare you to find a player out there that does what the iPod does with more battery life. Go on. Go ahead. You won't, and you can't, because the iPod is the dominant player.

12. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Yeah its unfortunante that its short, but its only bad if you are going to be watching a long movie during a long trip. However I could not bear looking at a 2.5in screen for 2 hours anyway. Apple should have a low power mode when the iPod is hooked up to a video cable the screen turns off or dims unless the click wheel is used. That could add additional time by using less screen battery life.

13. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

It's pretty good considering that on my roommates 12" powerbook he was just able to watch a two hour dvd. Right as the credits were rolling the battery died. I suppose they could have made it longer on the iPod but people would have complained it was too thick! Apple isn't a miracle worker, they have to go with the technology available to them at the time. I would love to see it last longer but it really isn't possible in the current form factor with the current battery technology. Just think, the original iPod back in 2001 had a battery life of 8 hours with backlighting off and only playing music and it was HUGE buy current iPod standards. Now you can play music for 20 hours!

14. the_freddinator macrumors regular

Don't like it? Carry one of these around:
    [​IMG]
    Still don't like it? Shouting isn't going to help. Just learn to deal with it.

15. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

I just had to say something about iGary's avatar :D

That made me laugh watching the keynote speech too.

16. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

...Along with stacks of UMD discs.

17. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Doesn't that sound like fun? :D

18. TobyM macrumors member

i cant confirm that (as a quite happy psp owner):

a 1gb stick is just fine for 2 movies (á 2hours) in good quality, or maybe even 3 movies in average quality.
    i think thats just okay.

so, imo, the difference is:
    when i´m planning to watch a movie anywhere, i´d take my psp. larger display, longer battery life.

but for spontaneous watching of movies, music clips etc, the ipod video is perfect. cause you always have it with you anyways.
    so it´s perfect for having seasons of your favorite tv shows with you.
    the day my ipod arrives, i´ll definitely fill it with futurama and simpsons. for all those moments when you just missed your bus or train and have to wait for the next one.

19. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

YEAH, DONT YOU JUST HATE PEOPLE WHO POST THREADS IN ALL CAPS? ISNT IT REALLY ANNOYING?

ah well. :rolleyes:

my name is pronounced mac....then (phonetically) oh-ess-ten-tastic. mac-oh-ess-ten-tastic.:D

20. revisionA macrumors 6502

batteries are in the stone age, dont blame apple

I have to chime in. Video playback will consume more power than music, its just physics.

plain and simple, battery technology is at a slower pace than any other tech. when someone comes up with nanomaterials that have amazing power retention and charging stats, then this may change.

for now, its an option. I would be looking a photos more due to the bigger screen, but video might be as much as cartoons or silly faces my friends make.

I like movies on my acd 23 thank you very much.

$

21. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I agree that two hours is a little disappointing; moreover, I'd be willing to bet that it is inflated-- based on what was advertised for music on my 3G ipod (8 hours) and what it actually gets (4.5-5); we're probably looking at 1.5 hours of video time on the smaller one. That being said, this is still mainly a music machine; I dont think a lot of people are going to be first priority video users.

22. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I agree completely with the chaps saying that if you're buying an iPod to exclusively watch video, you're doing it for the wrong reason. I'm not planning on buying any T.V. shows or anything except like music videos because watching stuff like that on a 2.5" screen is a waste of time. The iPod originally only played music, remember that. Music will always be its purpose.

Daniel

23. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Exactly Burt. The iPod is not designed to solely play video. IF it were it would have a bigger screen.

This is a small media-center now in the palm of your hand.

If you have to bitch about the 2 hours (as we've all stated about the technilogical factor behind batteries/processors, etc.), don't buy one. Better yet, go buy a Dell DJ or whatever the hell it's called. And while your at it, sell your Mac and get a crappy PC. See how far you get with those pieces of crap, then come crawling back and say "OMG, I finally realize just how innovative this product is and how stupid I was."

24. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I thought about playing movies on it but pretty much dismissed it seeing as I really don't think watching something like Lord of the Rings on a three inch screen is really gonna do it for me. I'm one of those annoying people that like it to settle in a nice dark quite room and enjoy a movie. Not squinting on the bus.

Shows I could definatly do if I miss them the last day. Without commericals an hour long show is about 45 minutes. That would probably take a moderate chunck out of my battery and all music played for the rest of the day.
    But honestly the thing I would rather enjoy is just the cool factor of having all the videos of the songs that I own.

Really who doesn't want to randomly whip out Christopher Walken dancing. :cool:

25. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Amen. Preach it, Reverend.

Daniel