2 iBook Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spartak23, Oct 25, 2004.

1. spartak23 macrumors newbie

Oct 25, 2004
    Hello everyone,
    I have 2 questions about the IBook, I'm running Mac OS X version 10.3.4, 800 MHz PowerPC G3 and 256 MB SDRAM. I'm a new user to macs and would like some help. Thank you in advance.

1. When in "System Preferences" I click "Accounts" and have "System Administrator", and "USERNAMEHERE", when I'm at the log in screen both of these accounts show up. How do I configure it so that Admin doesn't show up at all and only "USERNAMEHERE" shows up with the corresponding picture next to it?

-After it is disabled like I described you can enable it to show by pressing, "down arrow followed by Option + Shift + Enter" and an alternate login appears for admin.

- Basically what I'm trying to do is have one main account for a person with some privilages disabled and then have and Admin account that is "invisible" to the regular user.

2. This may seem as a silly question but how do I delete a program? Ex. I have Quicktime and I would like to get rid of it. Is there an "Add/Remove Programs" as in Windows? Do I just drag the program to the trash?

2. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2003

Im not sure about number 1, but number 2 you can just drag most programs to the trash. I would not recommend deleting quicktime though as a lot of programs rely upon it.
  3. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004

In response to ques 1, I would just delete both accounts and create a BRAND NEW ONE and call it whatever you want. That way, only that account shows up. ;)

In respons to ques 2, yea just drag the app to the trash and empty it. I also would not delete quicktime though as many Internet websites that have streaming video capabilities require it.
  4. spartak23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 25, 2004
    Yes, but if I delete both accounts and have just one main one, the other user has full capabilities. I need to make it with limited capabilities and have the Admin username for installing programs and other things.
  5. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Jun 9, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Then why not do just that? Create your sys. admin name and make sure you password it, then just leave it there. The other person with the limited capabilities won't have access to that administrator account. I think this is the kind of thing you're looking to do, yes?
  6. spartak23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 25, 2004
    Yes it's what I'm trying to do, but I'm also gonna be monitoring this person, I don't need them knowing I have an account on the computer.
  7. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2003
    You could just set it to require the username and password, that way it doesnt list both accounts. Its rather pointless though, unless the other user is a totally computer challenged, they can put two and two together and realize if their account is restricted, there has to be another account on the computer. Trust me, I work at a school I know.