2 iMacs, 1 DSL modem. What's the best way to put it 2gether?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Cheese, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    I have a new iMac G5 (woot!). I am giving my G3-400 iMac to my Daughter. I want to connect them wirelessly and access my ISP from the one, wired DSL modem my ISP provides. What equipment must I acquire to make this happen? I m thinking, for the G5, airport express card, but what else will it take? The tech at my ISP tried to tell me that the only thing I need is a wireless router, and some kind of adapter. Are there any websites that I can go to to learn more about this. I tried Apple, but I can't find any useful answers to my questions.
    Thanx...

2. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

You need:

-Modem
    -Wireless Router (extenders are good if computers are far apart)
    -Wireless card (for each computer)

Examples of these are:

-Modem: RCA modem, has lights, plug phone line in, etc... obvious
    -Wireless Router: Airport Extreme (AirPort express is a wireless extender and a router)
    -Wireless card: AirPort card

---

Thats it

3. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

you will need airport extreme/airport cards for your macs, a router as well as an ethernet cable to connect your modem to your router.

i would personally go with an airport extreme as your router since it has a usb port for printer sharing, as well as airtunes!

4. panphage macrumors 6502

Or you can pay $50 for a netgear 108Mbps wireless router with four ports...

5. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

If you can't find an airport card (your G3 does not use the airport extreme card) get a usb wireless device.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The Belkin 802.11g PCI card that's marked 125 supposedly works because it uses the same Broadcom chipset that Apple uses. It only works at 54 Mbps but that's not really an issue considering that the wireless card for the blue and white only did 11 Mbps.

7. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Your best bet would be to start with the Airport Extreme card in the G5 and a wireless G router with ports. Place it next to the G3 and hardwire it using ethernet. It'll save you the money of buying the extra wireless card.

Then, if the signal isn't strong enough to the G5, you could buy a range extender OR a wireless card for the G3 and move the wireless router to a more centralized spot in the house.