2 iMovie questions

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by zellin, Jan 27, 2006.

1. zellin macrumors regular

Hey, I have 2 questions about iMovie. One is, how do I censor out profanity? Meaning I want to put a "bleep" where the profanity would sound. Also, I am making a non-widescreen movie, and I want to put part of a widescreen movie as the opening - but when I put the opening into iMovie it stretches it out. How can I import it with black bars? Thanks!

2. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Answer to question one.
    Click the button on iMovie so that your clips are more on a timeline so that you can click "Edit Volume" then wherever the profanity is just lower the rubber band on the volume. (then if you want add a beep sound from iMovie sound effects.)
    Answer to question 2.
    There is also an effect called "Letterbox" you will loose some of the video from the top and bottom so make sure whatever your intro is will be perfectly center.
    http://vicssite.o-wh.com/merci.html
    (if you go past the danceing than you will see the letterbox effect when an azn girl is talking.)

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Here is a pretty good beep I have found.

Attached Files:

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I was going to suggest the same thing, but it sounded like the movie clip being imported was being stretched in height and the letter-box effect might clip it. Should hear back if it doesn't work though.

Seemed quite the party eh! :)

All that for a beeeeep! :D

5. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Oh, sorry about that i thought you just wanted the black bars... I'm not really sure how you would do that... where are you importing from? A widescreen type camera or a DVD player? or did you rip the dvd to your computer?

Danksi: Yes i suppose it was, still have another few I've been asked to be in this year to... another 2 - 4 hours a week at a coreographer.... :rolleyes: lol.

6. zellin thread starter macrumors regular

I ripped it from a DVD. I have QuickTime Pro if that helps (it seems like something it could do).

7. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Okay what version of iMovie are you using,
    and having said that i think but im not sure that iMovie that comes with the new iLife 06 supports widescreen. But if you have an older version (im assuming you do since the new one just came out) then im not sure it can be done with iMovie, maybe its somthing FCE can do...

8. zellin thread starter macrumors regular

iMovie HD (from iLife '05)

9. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I was looking around for iMovie hint n' tips and spotted this paragraph, regarding problems importing Widescreen in iMovie. Not sure whether this'll help with your letterbox problem. Let us know. :)

10. zellin thread starter macrumors regular

I appreciate the help, but the video I need letterboxed is not on the camera, I ripped it from DVD.

11. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

.. I was thinking you could switch to camera mode, import the DVD clip and then save the project, before switching to edit mode. Just tried similar (with a 4:3 clip) on iMovie 6 and it seemed to switch to edit mode before I could save.

Since you have Quicktime Pro, have you tried saving the movie as a different file type - there's appears to be a number of screen conversion features available.

Just throwing out some ideas, sorry, I've no silver bullet at this point.