2 Ipod's 1 Computer - help?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Sigma B, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Sigma B macrumors newbie

Hey everyone!

My mom and sister both have ipods - mini and regular ipod (now). They share the same computer, but they both have ipods. What's the best/easiest way for them to each have thier own music and sync it easily.

I need to be able to show them how to use it so that when I'm away they can do this on thier own.... They're using PC's (sorry).

Thanks for any help!

2. Arcus macrumors 6502a

Do they each have thier own logon? If they do they should each see a diffent set of music in iTunes unless there is a shared directory. If they share one logon account I dont know what to say. Maybe someone else has a good idea for that situation.

3. Sigma B thread starter macrumors newbie

no...

my sister has her logon - the other ipod hasn't been installed yet. I didn't want to until i found out the best way to do it.

is there away i can treat each one like a hard drive and drag and drop the songs rather than having to sync and so forth?

4. Norouzi macrumors 6502

The best option would be to give each of them their own account. iTunes can actually share one Music Library form seperate accounts. Each of their iTunes will be registered to their iPod that way they won't have eachothers playlists. The other option would be to have each iPod set to Manualy Transfer songs and Playlists. That way if they wanted to use one account for both of them they can update their iPods independently.

EDIT: "is there away i can treat each one like a hard drive and drag and drop the songs rather than having to sync and so forth?"

No, the iPod is designed to be synced with iTunes, I don't know of a way to have it work like that. The iPod does work as a hard drive when connected but the music is not accesable. There may be a seperate hack that allows you to see the music stored on an iPod, check Versiontracker they have a ton of Apps and Hacks for the iPod.

5. Sigma B thread starter macrumors newbie

cool...

my mom with the ipod mini only wants certain songs on there - so hopefully if i set them up independently she can pick and choose the songs from their "shared" music library if that's possible.

I know what I'm doing, but they don't. I want to make it as easy as possible for them. I'm sure if they were using macs instead of pc's that would help a lot!

6. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Yeah that shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure that iTunes is set to manualy update the iPod and not to Automaticly sync it. Then she can just drag and drop whatever songs she wants onto the iPod.