2 members of Damageplan killed onstage

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Dec 9, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

2. mateybob macrumors member

3. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

a metal band formed by ex-Pantera member Dimebag.

go to a gig and get shot... that's scary.

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

This sucks. Don't know much about Damageplan, but Pantera was a great band. This guy must have held some kind of grudge (real or imagined) against Dimebag Darrell to just walk up to him and start firing away point blank like that. I'm glad they took the shooter out before it got worse, but I wonder what his deal was.

What is wrong with people?

5. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Dimebag was an awesome guitarist. That's a shame.

6. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

OMG!

This is terrible. I loved Pantera and Damageplan. Dimebag was an amazing guitarist. His Brother Vinnie played drums for both bands. That's horrible that Dimebag was killed in front of his brother!

R.I.P. Dimebag :(

7. MadMacs44 macrumors member

MadMacs44

WTF- Is wrong with this World!

I have been a fan of Pantera and Dplan since the beginning! This is truly awful! Dime was an inspiration to all guitar players of his day and will be for years to come! This is truly the Day the Music Died for me! Even if you didnt appreciate the style of music they played, no one could deny that Dime was the Master of his Ax! I was fortunate to see him many times in concert.
    The other night they played a club near Albany New York, I was supposed to attend but with a nasty cold was unable to. My 3 good freinds went. Aftewr the show, Dime and the rest of the band came back into the bar to hang out and signed autographs, did shots, and whooped it up with everyone who wanted to hang! Man was I jeleous I missed that! He never let his fame detract from being a real person, and a fan of his own fans! This just sux.....Dime RIP Brother:(:(:(:(

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

What I don't understand is where was security? This is quite sad....

D

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

What I don't understand is how he got in there with a gun - that really is not right - where was security?

D

10. neut macrumors 68000

neut

keep on playin' dimebag...

that sucks, it's terrible to here about that in a club.

too bad Pantera slpit up because they were too drunk to play anymore... those last few years were painful to watch: bigotry, racism, and alcoholism. who wants to watch a bunch of drunk fat ****s who can't remember thier own songs? :mad:

see ya later dime bag... i hope to catch one more Pantera concert on the other side.

peace.

11. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

It reminds me how old I'm getting, when I read stories like this and don't recognize any of the names. ;)

Nevertheless, heartfelt condolences to Dimebag Darrell's tens of fans.

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

How about Phil getting back on heroin, leaving Pantera, joining Super Joint Ritual full time and saying Pantera is dead in an interview w/o ever telling Vinnie or Dimebag.

Lethal

13. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

My brother knew the Abbott brothers quite well being from the Arlington area as well and I know that Dime was genuinely a great guy. Metal certainly isn't my type of music, but he had a lot of friends and people that cared for him a great deal here in Texas and across the country as well. It's just horrible to see a good person like he was get murdered so senselessly like this. My deepest sympathies go out to the family.

14. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Dimebag seemed to be the biggest presence in Pantera... too bad phil turned into an *******.

peace.

15. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

It's unfortunate that people can't stop being violent.

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

A very sad situation. My prayers go out to the family and friends of the victims. It would seem that metal detectors are going to be needed at more venues. Increased security just seems to be a fact of life. As usual it is people that kill. The police did the right thing by shooting the man, public safe was of primary concern. :(

17. neut macrumors 68000

neut

sure this situation is solved.

metal detectors do not always work properly as we've learned from school and aipoort use. the more security we have the less rights we have... yet we are no safer than we have ever have been. are metal detectors good judge of character? clubs have the right to refuse service as many business do.

dont let a situaton like this scare you. the real way to solve problems is to teach people how to deal with thier problems and how to face themselves. killing someone to solve a problem is no good... in either case.

people could be a lot nicer too... :rolleyes: but with america watching fox news — you'd think we hate each other.

regaurdless, i too am glad to see that the situation was handled quickly. who knows how far an enraged man with a gun will go.

... but yes, this is a very sad situation.

peace.

18. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Try tens of thousands.

:mad:

R.I.P. DD, you'll be missed.

:(

19. neut macrumors 68000

neut

yes, very much.

organech's guitarist (Nickel Bag <of Funk>) will be very upset. he learned to play guitar by trying to emulate dimebag...

peace Dime Bag.

20. Maedus macrumors regular

It is such a shame to see one of the few people who played for the enjoyment of it so senselessly murdered.

Unfortunately, I don't think any amount of security could have prevented this. The man seemed determined to shoot Dimebag and even if there were metal detectors, etc., this person would have probably waited outside until the band exited the bar. Thankfully there was a police officer in the vicinity who was able to respond quickly and minimize the casualties this derranged man could have inflicted.

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I was in Columbus yersterday to pick up my brother from Ohio State for christmas, and we happened to drive by the club. I heard from some people on campus that the guy shot a security guard on his way in the back door. The guy is obviously a total nutjob.

I wonder what will happen with the club; business will probably shoot through the roof because of this, as perverse as that is.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

*was :eek:

24. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i wonder if the gunman was a deranged fan obsessed with dimebag

also look when dimebag was shot...december 8...the same day john lennon was shot...and by a deranged fan

for some sick people, the only way they know how to get close to their idol is to kill them...sometimes deranged people shoot others in attempt to get close to their idol ala john hinkley jr. when he shot reagan to try and get jodie foster's attention