2 months on, the lesser mentioned OSX good bits

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OwlsAndApples, Oct 20, 2006.

1. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

I have had my iMac 17" (my first mac :) ) for about 2 months now, and i'm just going to mention a few things which have really made my life easier/happier which don't get talked about as often. Hopefully some potential switchers may find these interesting:

- Installing/Uninstalling apps, for the most part it's a drag and drop process, no more control panel add/remove...
    - EDIT: Expose, all you do is show the mighty mouse some love and all your windows part in a Moses-like fashion.
    - GuitarChords widget, being a guitarist who uses garageband a lot, this widget in an invaluable tool...just click the '@ on a spring' on the dock to have a browse.
    - Dictionary, great built-in tool.
    - During some installations when it says 'optimising computer', just cool ;)
    - Use iSquint to convert vids for your iPod in one step.

And a few lessons I've learned which may help:

- command+click your spotlight results to open in finder
    - Right clicking on a mighty mouse - just go to System Preferences to set it up
    - click and hold dock icons for some quick options, i.e. emptying the trash
    - deleting locked items - hold down the option key when emptying the trash
    - some apps may require X11, just whip out the MacOSX disk that came with your mac.

I know that to nearly everyone on this forum these will sound really simplistic, but hopefully someone can get some use from them! :p

EDIT: Thanks Razorhog for the correction!

OwlsAndApples

2. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Great post! I've had my iMac for almost 2 weeks and I'm really enjoying getting to know Mac OS X. Here's a cool little thing I discovered:
    When you open a program, the icon appears on the dock. If you want that icon to stay in the dock permanently, just right click and choose "keep in dock".

I think you mean Expose :)

3. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

Hey guys,

good to hear your enjoying the experience :)

4. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Sometimes it's the little things that count. I have had my Mac for about a year and there is still things I am discovering.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Glad to hear that you are enjoying and learning more and more about Mac OS X as times goes on. Even the simple things about Mac OS just add up to make it such a great operating system. :)

6. Mundy macrumors regular

I'm a professional writer who, in the course of doing research for a book, will save thousands of documents onto my computer. During the course of my writing, I will have to reference these documents fairly often. OS X makes the documents and embedded text easy to find.

Spotlight saves me an incredible amount of time. For the type of writing I do, I'd have to say that the productivity gains over Windows XP are in the vicinity of 200%.

My other favorite built-in OS X feature goes hand-in-hand with Spotlight: Being able to print any document to a PDF. In a single week, I might save hundreds of documents off the Internet. Being able to print them into a PDF file that can then be indexed by Spotlight is just too cool. Again, the productivity increase is huge.

I recently overheard a writer complaining to a friend that he was having a problem with Office X for Mac. The friend advised him to get a PC with Windows XP, since "Macs don't do anything right."

I didn't quite call him a fool, but I'm sure he felt like it when I was done with him.

P.S. If you're a creative writer, you shouldn't be using Microsoft Word anyway. Check out Ulysses or CopyWrite.