2 Newb iPod questions

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by joshua_msu, Sep 2, 2004.

1. joshua_msu macrumors regular

Aug 5, 2004
    chicago (formerly detroit)
    I have a 3g iPod running version 2.2 and Windows XP. Anyways, I seem to be doing quite well with the software and such, but had two questions.

1. Fisrt of all, when in iTunes, and I click on the iPod in the source menu, all of my songs are greyed out, and I cannot select any of them to be deleted. I notice where it tells me how much disk space I have remaining on my iPod, there is a little "lock" symbolwhich I am assuming is the problem. How do I fix this?

2. Also, I have selected a folder that I am using for all of my songs. Anyways, how do I get the library to update and contain whatever is in that folder each time I open iTunes. Can I make the library add all the songs int he subfolder of that folder as well? Right now, I have to manually enter the songs into my library.

If my wording is confusing to you, I will gladly clear anything up. Thanks a lot guys. Looking forward to jamming.
  2. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    :confused: I'm a little confused too...

I have a 4G iPod, and when I plugged it into my Mac, it automatically updated it (it dumped all my music onto it) but last night it wouldn't allow me to delete any music on it unless I went to the iPod options and clicked on Manually Update. Then it let me do it.

Unless it's on Manual Update, the iPod should be automatically updated everytime you plug it in.

The iPod options button appears in iTunes only when the iPod is plugged in.

Attached Files:

3. C. M. Burns macrumors newbie

Sep 2, 2004
    All of your songs are greyed out because your ipod is synced to your computer. When your ipod is synced, it will automatically update itself to be an exact copy of your library whenever it is attached to your computer. If you have chosen this option, you will not be able to add or delete songs from your ipod manually.
    To change the settings for your ipod, click on the little ipod button in the bottom right corner of the itunes window. To be able to manually add or delete music from your ipod, choose the 'manually manage songs and playlists' option.

In regards to your itunes library, i don't know of any way to auto update it to a specific folder, especially not using windows. The best manual way of updating the itunes library that i know of is to select File: Add To Library, then choose the top level folder that you keep your music in, and anything not in your library already will be added.
  4. joshua_msu thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 5, 2004
    chicago (formerly detroit)
    Do you know if all of the audio files in the subfolders will be included when you do this method?
  5. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    can you delete songs seperately from the iPod without deleting them from the iTunes Library? :eek: i thought the only way to get them off the iPod was to delete them from the iTunes library...

about adding songs to library from that folder, you might be able to select 'manage music folder' in the preferences. so far i've been adding songs manually. there's a couple of iTunes AppleScript sites around that you might be able to find a script that suits your needs.