Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phreakout13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2004
South Eastern MA
For some reason on my iTunes library, there are two of the exact same artist categories when I use my browse feature and my iPod. One of the two will only have one song, and the rest will be on the other. This occures on about 5 of my artists. There are ABSOLUTELY no differences between the two in spelling, capitalization, punctuation, etc. What's wrong?! I'm obsessed with my iTunes library and spend hours maintaining it so every one of my 17,000 songs has every piece of info (artistm genre, etc) which is very hard to keep up with when you download music from LimeWire. Please help me! Thanks! :)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Select all the songs that you want to be named with the same artist. Bring up the info panel and change the artist name to what it's supposed to be. That should remove and differences that are there (that may not be visible to you). If that doesn't work then... hmmm.. dunno.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
phreakout13 said:
...which is very hard to keep up with when you download--
[insert piracy disclaimer]

Well, if you convert your music files to another format, the new song is placed in the library right underneath the original copy, automatically. So if you have duplicate listings, then probably you forgot to delete the original copy. (Try comparing bitrates to see if that's the case.)

17000 songs...have fun with that one.

EDIT: Misread the question.

phreakout13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2004
South Eastern MA
King Cobra said:
[insert piracy disclaimer]

Well, if you convert your music files to another format, the new song is placed in the library right underneath the original copy, automatically. So if you have duplicate listings, then probably you forgot to delete the original copy. (Try comparing bitrates to see if that's the case.)

17000 songs...have fun with that one.
Nope, I usually don't convert them unless my iPod can't read them. I know whatcha mean though. As far as piracy, I mostly download stuff like concert recordings of stuff you can't buy (Phish, the Dead, etc.) wich the bands actually encourage. It's much easier than tape trading :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.