Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
Ok so i have a Powermac G3 B&W in the mail...

I want to move my old HDDs to the new one.

I have 2 40 GB HDDs and a 60 GB HDD id like to use.

is it posibloe to install all 3 HDDs and treat them as one?
I had 2 set up in my old b&w but when i wanted to access it i had to do them separately.
I want to be able to treat them all as one big HDD... If its possible

can someone please help me?

Thanks,
ME1000

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I don't remember if you can have 3 HD's in the B/W's. I have one back at home with at 2 drives in it. As for making them behave as one drive you'll need to reformat the drives and setup RAID 0 configurations. This will give you one very large partition. I have never done this so I don't know exactly the steps for doing it, but I figure it is not too tough.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
ok thank you...

I think i had 3 HDDs in it once, i know there is a spot for a 3rd one, and i think the rev2 may of had a 4th spot... but dont hold me to that, im just going on memory.

Can i set up the RAID if they are 2 different sizes? (40 GB and 60 GB)

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Yes, you can fit up to 4 HDD's in the bottom of the B&W's. But to see them as 1 drive, you will need to use a Raid, preferably a hardware set-up using a pci controller card.

do a google on mac raid, and be aware that in some configurations, using disks of different sizes results in loss of some space, namely the difference between the largest & smallest disk in the set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.