Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
2-pound dog used for deadly place kick

A Priest Lake man killed his neighbor's 2-pound miniature Yorkshire terrier by kicking it into the air like a football, police said, and authorities have charged him with animal cruelty.

Jelani Lewis and Jessica McKenzie say they are outraged at the death of their 17-year-old pet, Gizmo. Lewis said he watched helplessly early yesterday as three men assaulted the dog the way football players kick field goals.

The dog was dead instantly when he hit the pavement. The man police say kicked him, Chad Daniel Crawford, 23, of the 1000 block of Long Hunter Lane is now charged with cruelty to animals and felony vandalism and was free yesterday after posting $25,000 bail, authorities said.

Reached by telephone at his home, Crawford said the accusations against him were false. He declined to comment further and said he was trying to contact his attorney.

''I didn't believe that they actually kicked my dog,'' Lewis, 29, said yesterday, standing in a parking lot at the Nashboro Village apartment complex, where dried blood puddles were still on the blacktop. ''When I saw him kick it, I was thinking, maybe for a second, 'No, that really isn't Gizmo he's kicking.' ''

One of the men ''with tattoos on both arms was holding the dog like a football,'' Lewis said. ''The other one backed up and kicked him … like a place kicker.''

Gizmo went flying into the air in a high arc. The man and two friends with him laughed, and then ran away, Lewis said. For a moment, Lewis stood still, his eyes following Gizmo's body until it smacked onto the pavement and then rolled a couple of feet beneath a parked car.

''There is an obvious question about the mental makeup of someone who would do a thing like this to a tiny animal,'' said Metro Animal Control Director Judy Ladebauche. ''This is heart-breaking. I've seen horrific things but not like this. I cannot imagine where someone's mind would be who would do something like this.''

Ladebauche said she would ask the Davidson County district attorney general and police officials to upgrade the charges against Crawford from animal cruelty to the state's newly created aggravated animal cruelty charge. A conviction under the new law can result in a court-ordered mental evaluation for the offender, and a second offense is a felony.

Crawford also is charged with felony vandalism, instead of misdemeanor vandalism, because Gizmo was worth about $1,500, according to court records. No one else has been charged in the case, according to a review of recent warrants.

A man who was with Crawford, identified as Michael Lee Davis, also told police that Crawford kicked the dog, according to arrest reports.

Police reports say Crawford, who lives about three blocks from Lewis, is 5 feet, 9 inches tall and weighs 175 pounds. Gizmo weighed about 2 pounds, Lewis said.

William Ackerman, a neighbor of Lewis at Nashboro Village, said he saw Gizmo nearly every day as Lewis would stop by. ''I've got it out for anybody who would hurt a little-bitty dog like that. … '' Ackerman said. ''That little dog wouldn't hurt a flea.''

Yorkshire terriers are toy dogs with tan and ''blue'' coats. The American Kennel Club Web site warns that they can be easily injured by small children.

Lewis had seen the men laughing in the parking lot as he took out the trash. But he thought they were petting Gizmo, who Lewis said never barked, bit or attacked, and was a veteran whimperer — always looking for scraps of food or an occasional pat on the head. Lewis said he and Crawford did not know each other.

After Gizmo's death, Lewis said, he chased the three men until he caught Crawford, and made him pick up Gizmo's body and take it upstairs to McKenzie. He later held Crawford until police showed up. As her boyfriend spoke yesterday, McKenzie, 27, wept.

The couple said they were in shock and disbelief yesterday. Gizmo had originally belonged to Lewis' grandmother, and they took the dog when the woman died.

-----
49499919.jpg

Jessica McKenzie, left, with her boyfriend, Jelani Lewis, indicates the blood from their dog, Gizmo, which Lewis said was killed by three men who held it down and kicked it like a football. The spot is where Gizmo landed, more than 30 feet from where the 2-pound terrier was kicked.
-----
WEB_0407-A-DOGKICK1.jpg
Here is the lowlife no good scumbag that ought to have his nuts bitten off and eaten by a rabid chihuahua. :mad: :eek:
-----
WEB_0407-A-DOGKICK2.jpg
Here is Gizmo. :(

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
macka said:
That's really sad. :(
If somebody did that to one of my pets, they wouldn't live to brag about it.

I had a Yorkie that only got ran over, and if I was there at the time, I would probably be in jail.
I don't know what I would have done if some killed my dog on purpose.

There's something seriously wrong with this guy...if he would do this to your pet, just think what he would do to your kids.
I say just lock him up, and throw away the key! :mad:

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
I think having a rabid chihuhua bite and eat your gonads off is pretty good. This way, he won't be polluting the gene pool. :mad: :mad: :mad:

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Oh my god that is so crazy--my neighbors had a dog that looked exactly like this one and guess what his name was? You got it: Gizmo.

He died an unnatural demise as well--he got attacked and killed by another one of the neighborhood dogs. Little Gizmo was kinda like everyone's pet....he visited everyone all the time and was very affectionate.

The bastard in this case should be drug into the street and shot.

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
Little dogs like these should not be out of doors unsupervised. They can very quickly turn into coyote food, or mountain lion food.

Yorkshire Terrier History

Hmm... they are good at rat-killing, so they are in competition with cats. I like them already. Dogs follow orders, cats don't. :p

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
crazzyeddie said:
That guy needs the most severe punishment allowed by law... maybe even more.

Funny that you say that. Some lady kills her children, and then all of the sudden says she is mental, and she doesn't get any punishment. She is declared as mental, and are f*cked up court system allows it. Now she is going to live in a mental institution, instead of being put to death.

This guy killed a dog. I understand he should be punished, but not to the most extreme. People murder people and stuff every single day and get away with it. I understand this is a helpless animal, but the most severe punishment?

I think he should be put in prison for 1 year on $15,000 dollars bail.

I think the lady that murdered her kids should be taken outside and shot between the eyes.

Whats the point of a death row? To use tax-payers dollars for about 10 years until they are put to death? How about we take them into a room, and shoot them.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
MacAztec said:
Funny that you say that. Some lady kills her children, and then all of the sudden says she is mental, and she doesn't get any punishment. She is declared as mental, and are f*cked up court system allows it. Now she is going to live in a mental institution, instead of being put to death.

This guy killed a dog. I understand he should be punished, but not to the most extreme. People murder people and stuff every single day and get away with it. I understand this is a helpless animal, but the most severe punishment?

I think he should be put in prison for 1 year on $15,000 dollars bail.

I think the lady that murdered her kids should be taken outside and shot between the eyes.

Whats the point of a death row? To use tax-payers dollars for about 10 years until they are put to death? How about we take them into a room, and shoot them.

I don't think the insanity defense should be allowed unless they are certifiably out of it like severly scyzophrenic. Honestly it really shouldn't matter WHY you killed them. Even sociopaths are considered not quite right in the head, yet we still send them to jail. Why? Because they killed someone.

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
Murderers, rapists, and thieves should be executed in a public forum immediately after sentencing. No expensive jail time; just a rope and a public corner.

I am all for "like punishment for like crime". This guy should be tied up and kicked to death by a row of volunteer place kickers.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
People really do love their pets. They treat them as if they were human. Some of them actually begin to believe that they are human.

What's surprising to me is how many pet owners are also meat eaters. What's the difference between slaughtering a cow and killing a pet?

Personally, I eat meat. Humans are naturally meat eaters, and so I don't see anything wrong with it.

Here's what I find a little hard to comprehend: Being a meat eater, owning a pet, and advocating the death penalty for animal cruelty. I can't see how anyone could hold all three views at the same time. Yet apparently a lot of people do.

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
wordmunger said:
What's the difference between slaughtering a cow and killing a pet?... Here's what I find a little hard to comprehend: Being a meat eater, owning a pet, and advocating the death penalty for animal cruelty.

Cows are slain in a humane fashion. Kicking a dog to death is inhumane.

And don't forget, an added oddity to your conundrum. The carcasses of animals euthanized in shelters are often sold to pet food companies, to be used as "rendered meat". I know Alpo used to do this, though I am unsure of others.

Me, I'm a second-hand vegetarian; I only eat animals that eat vegetables. :D

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Krizoitz said:
I don't think the insanity defense should be allowed unless they are certifiably out of it like severly scyzophrenic.

That Lady was out of it though. I guess something like 6 doctors all said that she was crazy. One said that schools should use this case as the definition of the insanity defense. Never before has there been such an agreement on whether someone is legally not responsible.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Aeolius said:
Cows are slain in a humane fashion. Kicking a dog to death is inhumane.
Whether the slaughter of cattle is humane or not is a debatable proposition--who's to say they don't suffer more than the dog, who apparently died instantaneously from a swift kick?

And--if kicking a dog to death is inhumane, kicking a human to death is obscene.
And don't forget, an added oddity to your conundrum. The carcasses of animals euthanized in shelters are often sold to pet food companies, to be used as "rendered meat". I know Alpo used to do this, though I am unsure of others.
Well, personally I don't have a problem with this, as long as there aren't any sanitation/public health issues. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the pet owners who'd like the dog-kicker tortured to death would find this practice reprehensible--and would lecture others about it at length over a nice steak dinner! But really, what's the difference between the steak and the "rendered meat"?

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
wordmunger said:
Here's what I find a little hard to comprehend: Being a meat eater, owning a pet, and advocating the death penalty for animal cruelty. I can't see how anyone could hold all three views at the same time. Yet apparently a lot of people do.

I am a meat eater and also a pet owner. I don't think I would recommend the death penalty for Gizmo's death, but a few years in prison wouldn't be unreasonable.

Of course I would never eat dog or cat or anything else that I would have for a pet. Cows and chickens are another matter, and if I had a cow or chicken as a pet, I probably wouldn't eat them anymore.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Dippo said:
I am a meat eater and also a pet owner. I don't think I would recommend the death penalty for Gizmo's death, but a few years in prison wouldn't be unreasonable.
I have a real hard time figuring out the proper degree of penalties for animal cruelty. In this case, we have a confounding factor--the dog was someone's property, and presumably there are fixed penalties for such things.

But what about the "cruelty" portion of the equation--setting aside the fact that this was someone's animal, how would we penalize someone for that? Actually there was an incident last year where some college students beat a Canada Goose to death with golf clubs. It's legal to kill a goose for food (at least during hunting season), but most people agreed that the students should be punished.

You can make the case that people who are cruel to animals are more likely to commit other crimes. But on the other hand, we can't penalize people because they *might* commit a crime--this isn't a Tom Cruise movie, it's reality. I'd be interested to hear what others think about this.

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
wordmunger said:
But what about the "cruelty" portion of the equation--setting aside the fact that this was someone's animal, how would we penalize someone for that? Actually there was an incident last year where some college students beat a Canada Goose to death with golf clubs. It's legal to kill a goose for food (at least during hunting season), but most people agreed that the students should be punished.

I have to agree, it is really hard to figure out a punishment for animal cruelty, but I do think that there should be an extra set of penalties for the purposeful killing of a pet.

I certianly won't pretend to know the answer to this question.
Maybe someone else would have more to add...

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
THey should have someone hold the ******* down and let the owners of the dog kick him until they are so tired that they don't have the energy to stand. If he died. So be it.

What a piece of human waste.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.