2 printers on the network, Can only connect to 1

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by one1, Jan 15, 2008.

1. macrumors 65816

I have an HP all in one printer for documents and an Epson photo printer for pics. I can print to the HP with no problems whatsoever, but when I try to print to the Epson, I get the error below.

Computer I am trying to print from: Macbook on Leo, running off wireless through router.

Computer I am trying to print to where printer is connected: Compaq desktop on XP Pro on lan connection and hosting the router.

I have printer sharing enabled on the new printer, the settings appear to be identical, but I guess not.

Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. thread starter macrumors 65816

Here's the console error on the log report.

I've highlighted the error in bold.

Any clues?

3. macrumors G4

You don't explain exactly how you have each printer connected. However, your problem appears to be a very common one that often brings users to this forum.

However, I am betting that you are trying to use vendor-supplied drivers to print to networked printers. Vendor-supplied drivers are usually for a USB connection. You cannot use a USB driver to control a Windows-shared printer. You have to download and install the CUPS driver for your model Epson. There are ample links to the Linux Foundation OpenPrinting website elsewhere on this forum. Do a search--either here or on Google.

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

They weren't too helpful actually. Thank you for the answer though. :)

If anyone has a similar printer on network please share your experience. :)

Also, I went to http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/dl_ink.html and found a promising driver, but I can't open it. What distribution should I be downloading and what distribution version?

It has been giving me files I cannot open so far.

The only one that attempted to open was redhat and this is what it did:

EDIT: I logged in as root and installed the redhat driver, still the same original problem :(

5. macrumors 6502a

gsahli

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you, but I have no idea which one to use :(

7. macrumors 68000

Reflow

What kind of epson is it? Can you ping the printer or is it shared on another machine?

8. thread starter macrumors 65816

I am downstairs on my MB.

The Epson and HP printers are both upstairs on USB to a desktop, desktop has a router and cable modem.

Epson is an R280 photo printer.

I can print to the HP with no issues.

9. macrumors 6502a

gsahli

For the Epson you need the latest Gutenprint driver from the link I gave you above.

10. thread starter macrumors 65816

Obviously, but I still don't know which that is.

11. macrumors 6502a

gsahli

When I go to that page, I see this:
    foo2zjs
    The foo2zjs is a package to support certain HP LaserJets, Minolta, Samsung, and Xerox printers. It contains several 'foo2*' drivers.
    23 printers
    Gutenprint
    The Gutenprint (formerly called Gimp-Print) package is a suite of high-quality open-source drivers supporting Epson, Canon, lexmark, and HP inkjet printers.
    800+ printers
    hl1250
    The hl1250 package supports 8 Brother printers that do not include the Brother PostScript emulator.
    8 printers
    hpijs
    The hpijs package uses the open-source hpijs driver to support over 600 varieties of (mostly HP) DeskJet, OfficeJet, PSC, LaserJet printer.
    635 printers
    imagewriter
    The imagewriter package provides support for all three Apple ImageWriter dot-matrix printers. Printing is supported via AppleTalk and serial port.
    3 printers
    lpstyl
    The lpstyl package supports 7 Apple Stylewriter printers. The printers must be connected to a serial port.
    7 printers
    m2300w
    The m2300w package supports 2 Konica Minolta magicolor "w" printers.
    2 printers
    min12xxw
    The min12xxw package supports 5 Minolta PagePro "w" printers.
    5 printers
    pnm2ppa
    The pnm2ppa package supports printers that use the proprietary PPA (Printing Performance Architecture) protocol developed by Hewlett Packard.
    6 printers
    pslevel1
    The pslevel1 package attempts to support printing to PostScript level 1 printers.
    5 printers
    pxlmono
    The pxlmono package supports 461 printers from manufacturers, including Brother, Epson, Gestetner, HP, Infotec, Kyocera, Lanier, NRG, Ricoh, Samsung, and Savin. .
    461 printers
    rastertokmXXXXdl
    The rastertokmXXXXdl drivers support the KONICA MINOLTA magicolor 2300 DL, magicolor 2430 DL, magicolor 2530 DL, magicolor 5430 DL, and magicolor 5440 DL printers.
    samsung-gdi
    The samsung-gdi package supports printers that use the Samsung-GDI language.
    12 printers
    Foomatic-RIP
    The Foomatic-RIP package installs the standalone runtime machinery for printing with any Foomatic driver. It can be used to more easily install a Foomatic driver for which no Mac OS X package exists.
    Loads of printers

-- the link called Gutenprint is what I was referring to.