2 questions here. Some probs with new ibook.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by CaptainCaveMann, Apr 7, 2005.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I have two questions here my new ibook has been acting strange. Number 1 is the battery meter seems to fluxuate. It will say 5 hours then 20 minutes later it will say 3 hours or even 2 hours? Help! Also i copied a couple cd's onto it and it worked just fine the first time around. Then i took another cd(same type as others) and was going to copy it, but i go the beach ball about 2 minutes after the process started and i had to force quit. Then a menu came up and said i had to restart my computer! This ibook is brand new! It only has 256 of memory could this be the problem? Also can you leave the powercord plugged into it all night? I know it doesnt take all night to charge fully so would this be a problem? Over charging maybe? Thanks all :D

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

your battery time will fluctuate depending on how intensive your work is, if you have your brightness turned down and are just browsing online then your battery will last a long longer than if you turn up the brightness have MP3s playing, are browsing, chatting, have a lot of apps open etc, you get what im saying.....

how scratched up is this disk? have you tried any others since this one to see if they work?

3. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

The disk isnt even scratched really. Some smudges is all. Im gonna try another disk right now.

4. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Ok just tried another cd. Same brand. Burned the same way on another comp. It worked just fine. Do you think somethings wrong with the other disk? Can the ibook be picky with some cd's?

5. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

ibooks dont really have any more difficulty reading discs than any other notebooks. Sounds like either a bad burn, or a damaged disc. I wouldn't worry about anything, as long as your combo drive can read most cds, dvd, and can write to cds, then it is functioning properly.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i doubt its the iBook being picky, perhaps the cd was not finalized properly or there is something else wrong with it, i have yet to have a problem in my two years of having my powerbook with any cds except highly scratched ones or ones that were not burned properly, does this disc work on on other systems besides your iBook and the computer from which you burned it? have you tried the disc again? perhaps it was a fluke?

7. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Ok heres the weird thing. My friend has a ti book and he tried the cd just now and it worked fine! Man this is so weird. So then i tried putting in the cd again to copy it. And once again itunes locked up and it didnt respond. Even the eject key on the keyboard wouldnt eject the cd. :confused: Also i just tried a dvd and it worked and played fine. I had alot of apps open when i first tried the bad cd. So i closed everything and tried it again because my friend said maybe the computer was bogged down. After closing everything it still didnt work. Then i put another cd in a totally different one and it started copying just fine then stopped in the middle of the process and wouldnt continue. Is something wrong with itunes? My computer? I havnt registered it yet and also havnt done any updates. Could this be the problem? Im getting ready to take my comp to the apple store and talk to a genius.

8. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, I had a few troubles with my first iBook with some of the same things as yours and the only thing with the discs was the brand. As for the battery if you will be doing heavy use it won't hurt to leave it plugged in as I due this when working in flash and using itunes along with a few other things open.
    As said above the more you use the faster your battery will go down. I see your sig. and the fact that you have the stock amount of ram may also contribute to your battery getting low quicker if it has to use the HDD due to lack of ram for some programs (so I've been told).
    Last: update your iBook and if it makes you feel better after run the hardware test cd and see what happens.

9. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Hmm thats interesting that it could be the brand of disk, because i put in the apple hardware test cd and it ran fine meaning as soon as it went in the cd rom drive started spinning up. When i put the bad disk in it doesnt spin up. Also the dvd i tried worked perfectly. So it wouldnt make sense to me that its a hardware issue. Im gonna try and get ahold of some real cd's bought in the store and put a few of those in and see what happens. That may confirm the brand issue with burnt cd's and rule out hardware defect. Crossing fingers. By the way im using Memorex cd-r disks 52x 80 minute. Ok i just got off the phone with tech support. We put in a regular cd and it worked just fine. So he confirmed its not a hardware issue. Its probably the brand of cd he said. The reason it works in my friends ti book he also said is probably because since my ibook is new we probably have different firmware installed. Nothing to worry about i guess. It kind of sucks though because i have a lot of cd's burnt and now cant import any of them onto my ibook. Ah well. Can you guys recomend a good brand or type of cd-r disk to use? Thanks all for the help. Peace from so cal

10. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, that brand I have nothing but trouble with even in my external drive.
    I use TDK for dvd/cd and Verbatium for my audio and dvd as well. You can check my posts I have one on what media I use and why. The Memorex brand cd I put in my iBook the first day I got it and it didn't read it at all. I then put in a TDK audio cd i made for my car and not one problem. Also try Sony for audio as I've (and most of my friends) had good luck with them also.
    Good luck and enjoy...

11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo