2 Questions: Montage Music? Google Video to usable format?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Benjamindaines, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

1. I need some fast-pased montage music (footage is sped up 500% if that gives you any idea). What do you suggest? I would prefer some public domain music.

2. Is there anyway to get a Google video (full resolution, not the low resolution for iPod download) into an editable format? I would like to get it into DVD studio and burn it to a DVD (obviously). It's a public domain documentary so no copy write issues to deal with. BTW I downloaded the .gvp file (has the .gvi file as well).

--Thanks

2. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

for music try this lot.

http://www.audiolicense.net/

the music is very usable and the pricing is good, any free music i have used tends to be quite bad.

Google / youtube video is very very low quality, you will want to contact the owner of the clip to 1, get permission to use it 2, a decent quality copy of the clip. DV file should be fine.

If you are making something for the public domain you need to make sure you have the rights to it.

hope thats some help.

3. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

you can find free music (creative commons, don't forget to mention the artist in the final product) here:
    http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/
    also check out garageband

iSquint can handle quite a few video formats, but I don't know about google video.

4. not_batman macrumors newbie

I can't quite remember which one I used (gvp or gvi), but if you open the file in Text Edit and look for a url then paste that into your web browser you can download the actual video. The file you downloaded is basically a pointer to the actual video so it can be streamed.

Also try out archive.org. There is a huge amount of great footage there.

Edit: I think the format Google video usually uses is avi.

5. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Awesome thanks! I did it with the .gvp and you're correct it is .avi format.

6. sturigdson macrumors regular

I'm not sure what this means, exactly- are you creating a documentary using public domain material you've found on google video/you tube? or are you creating a video you don't intend to charge for?

If it's the latter, that's not really "public domain," per se, and you could be liable, regardless, of copyright issues if people were to pursue you. They wouldn't, though, if you didn't charge any money- those jerks really only pursue things where they feel like their image is suffering or they feel like they're missing out on some profits.

If it's the first option, I'd suggest you seek out higher-quality material. If it is public domain video you're looking for, you can usually find it in much better quality in any number of places- libraries, ubuweb, archive.org... Unless you really couldn't find it anywhere other than google, I'd urge you to keep up the hunt for higher quality source video.

7. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

It's a public domain documentary that's posted on Google that I want to download and burn to a DVD and play for a group of people (rather than have them huddle around a computer).