2 Questions re; Ibook Graphics

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by derboy, Jul 27, 2005.

1. derboy macrumors regular

Hi all,

Going back to uni for the final year of a design course this sep. I really need the mobility of a laptop, to go with my pc. Sadly the pc cant go because its got industrial design programs on it. That means i'm selling the duel 1.8 g5. But thats another sad story...

So yea, thinking about the 12 ibook. I refuse to pay the price for the powerbooks, when they no longer justify themselves.

-It may be too early to say, but whats the chances of the screen span hack working with the new graphics card?? This is very important.

-And anyone know how much using a Wacom tablet would strain the graphics when using said external 17 lcd and Photoshop/Corel Painter. The question is really getting at, what part of the system is being strained? say in photoshop when you've got a 100 pixel size brush, and there is noticable lag on strokes. Is that processor, bus, graphics or just pony system. Anything to do with the tablet?

Any help apprieciated

2. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

I think the screen span hack is almost guaranteed to work. It should be an open firmware thing, not a graphics card issue. I can let you know when I get my iBook if there are any issues.

3. wide macrumors 6502a

the ibook will be fine, screen spanning should be okay. the powerbooks will probably be released soon (september at mac expo paris?). if you can wait i would. also, the refurbs are a pretty good deal I think. check on the "special deals and savings" page on www.apple.com to see the prices.

4. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

I have a wacon tablet that I use with the PB12. there is no reason why it should strain the graphics. Any additional resources will be minimal, I would be surprise if you noticed. I use the wacon with Photoshop CS2 opening on 60Mb tiff files and I have at least 3 of other applications opened and like 20 firefox tabs that with 764 Mb of RAM (Adobe Bridge that comes with CS is slow like hell with or without the tablet)

5. aquajet macrumors 68020

According to ATI, the PC 9550 is dual-headed, so I suspect that it should work.

6. derboy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot everyone.

javiercr, thats exactly what i wanted to hear. Think i get greedy on the g5 and work with massive brushes at full res. Think it would strain any system :D

May just wax the money, *goes to find silver spray paint*

7. Rangerhall6 macrumors member

Rangerhall6

What does the screen span hack do and where can you get it? I have a new iBook on the way and this looked interesting to me... thanks.

8. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

The iBook only mirrors to an external monitor. So, even if you have a 20" Cinema display, it will run at 1024x768 because it's 'mirrored' from the iBook. The screen hack lets the iBook behave like a PowerBook and drive the external at it's native resolution.

9. Rangerhall6 macrumors member

Rangerhall6

I see, thanks for the info jknight

10. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

It's probably run like *****, right? I mean since there's only 16 mb of vram for each screen.