2 questions (wireless connection and need a recommendation)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mohmandm, Aug 10, 2004.

1. mohmandm macrumors member

Ok so I just switched to apple and got a 12" powerbook. (love it to death) I was wondering if you can recommend any sleeves for the powerbook that can protect it when putting it in my backpack. I am a college student and don't want to buy a whole case just a sleeve. I also was hoping to get some guidance on a wireless issue. I have been able to use my pb wirelessly everywhere except my gf's house. It is a linksys wireless router and is a 802.11g (i think) but i know it's compatible. I shows that it has signal strength on internet connect but every internet application says it can't connect. Please give some guidance :confused:

2. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

I recommend ZeroShock available from Shinza.com......best sleeve ever for students (second choice would be Tucano...). Get the Black over grey (I have grey and I feel that it will get dirty when the school starts)

You could break up with your girlfriend and find someone else with a better router, but if you must stick.....there may be security features/settings that isn't allowing you to connect.
    I switched to 12"PB 2 weeks ago and love it and also love ZeroShock. I know that it will protect the PB from junk in my backpack.

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I think we might need to know more details about the wireless issue to be sure.
    Is the router using WEP encryption?
    You have successfully joined the network, but can't connect?
    Does the router have a MAC address filter on, effectively excluding your computer?
    Does the router only allow a certain number of connections?
    Does the router hand out IP addresses through DHCP, or should you be supplying your own?

Sorry to answer your question with 5 more! haha, but that should get you or us in the right direction to getting it solved.

Lee Tom

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

There is at least one other thread on laptop sleeves - check that one out for info.

As for the wireless thing - you're right, Linksys should work. A couple of potential things:

Go into System Preferences > Network and make sure that your Airport has been assigned an IP address. If you don't have one, the router isn't giving them out to you for some reason (MAC address filtering, limited DHCP allowed, etc.)

If you do have an IP address and still can't connect, that's pretty strange, and I'm not sure what to tell you to look for on that one, except make sure that your airport settings for DNS servers (if necessary) are correct, and make sure you don't have any proxy setup.

5. mohmandm thread starter macrumors member

some answers

Is the router using WEP encryption? don't know :confused:
    You have successfully joined the network, but can't connect? The name Linksys does come up and it does have signal strength
    Does the router have a MAC address filter on, effectively excluding your computer? I remember reading something about address filter when messing with settings
    Does the router only allow a certain number of connections? not sure :confused:
    Does the router hand out IP addresses through DHCP, or should you be supplying your own? not sure :confused:
    sorry for my lack of knowledge I'm still learning :)

6. mohmandm thread starter macrumors member

Can't find Tucano

So I looked at the zeroshock and it was 29.95 (looking for a little cheaper if i can) and then I couldn't find an american seller for the tucano... so if you could tell me where I could get the tucano I would be very appreciative

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

Again, it boils down to if you have an assigned IP address. Look in your Network preferences to see if you have an IP address. If you're connected (the prefs pane will say "Airport is connected to the network <xxx>), but don't have an IP address, then you probably need to enable DHCP.

If you don't get the "connected to..." message, then you're not even talking to the router.

If your girlfriend can connect, check out her settings. If she's running Windows, I think you can run "winipcfg.exe" from the Start > Run menu. Select her wireless adapter from the drop-down list and see if it gives you the option to "Release" and "Renew" addresses. If it does, you need to be running DHCP. You cay also need to go to the command prompt and type "ipconfig".

8. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun