2 TB External HD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by peletrane, Mar 29, 2007.

1. peletrane macrumors member

Any recommendations? I've been looking at the LaCie 2TB, FW 800, 7200 rpm model for my PBG4, so I can use it with Logic 7.0 (audio recording).

1. I'm afraid that it'll breakdown in an abnormally short amount of time? What's the usual life span? It's RAID 0.

2. Would I need a backup for the backup? Or is that too weird??

3. Anybody have one of these? How has it worked out? Issues? Concerns?

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I have:

(1) LaCie 250GB Triple Interface
    (2) LaCie 500GB Triple Interface
    (1) Lacie 1.0 TB Triple Interface
    (2) LaCie 1.2 TB Triple Interface
    (1) LaCie 1.0 TB 1GB Ethernet
    (1) LaCie 2.0 TB 1GB Ethernet

The 1.0 TB Triple Interface is noisy. You do not want it right next to you. Beyond that, I have had excellent results with their products. There are other good competitors out there. Other members have recommended their favorites and I do not want to engage in a debate as to which is better. I have good results and reliability with LaCie. Some of the drives go back to 2004. For awhile, I was capturing video directly to the LaCie's and never dropped a frame. It was SD mind. I discontinued that, and started using the internal SATA drives on my MP. It was not a performance issue, just a better use of resources. HTH.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

RAID 0 is inherently more liable to break down than 2 individual drives.
    This is your backup drive?
    If so, you don't need the speed of RAID 0, you would be better to reallocate it as two individual disks.

If this is primary storage, then ^&$( yes, you need a backup.

4. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Build Your Own

I built my own with the Other World Computing OWC Mercury Elite-AL Firewire 800/400 + USB2 Pro RAID Dual-Drive Enclosure for two SATA Drives. Includes cables for $119.99!

Add two 1 terabyte drives of your choice and you are set -- Great way to go as you can change drives next year when the 2-terabyte models come out.:D