2 Things about OSX I don't get...File size and END key

Discussion in 'macOS' started by purdueboiler87, Jul 3, 2006.

1. purdueboiler87 macrumors member

I have two simple questions that I just can't figure out:

1. How come in the finder for some of my files, the file size does not display? It just shows "--". Why doesn't it give me the file size? I have some big video files I would like to see the size of without doing a Get Info all the time.

2. What is the purpose of the end key? Seems like it just doesn't work right. When I have the focus in an URL field for example and you hit the end key, it should go to the end of the field. Doesn't do that. If I am typing a sentence, like this for example, and I hit the end key, it does not go to the end of the sentence? If it doesn't go to the "end" of something, why did they call it the "end" key?

2. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

1. This is because the file that you are looking at is a large file. These little lines (--) means that it is measuring the size of the folder and it will display it as soon as it's loaded.

2. I'm not sure about the end key. :)

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Under Windows, the End key goes to the end of the line. Under OS X it goes to the end of the page. Press Command-Right for the same behaviour as Windows.

4. purdueboiler87 thread starter macrumors member

So I did a Get Info on three of the files that didn't have sizes displayed. 23GB, 128K and 12 GB. The finder window has been open over a minute now and the file sizes still don't appear. Maybe it's me but this seems pretty dumb. I have a dual 2.3 with 4.5 gigs of RAM and when I open a finder window, I can't get file sizes for "big" files? I love my Macs and OSX but this just seems too ridiculous. Is there some option I can turn on? God, even windows can give me the file sizes.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Are they folders?

Click on the little gear icon in the finder window and select View Options, then at the bottom of the little window that opens is a box marked "Calculate all sizes." Does that work? You might have to close and reopen the window so that it refreshes.

6. purdueboiler87 thread starter macrumors member

That fixed it. Thanks. Not sure why that wouldn't be on as a default. Thanks again.

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Because it doesn't look as polished and finished as not having it on by default

8. Lebowski macrumors 6502

so your upset your computer couldnt immediately read and calculate the size of a 23 gig file?

dude, 23 gigs is HUGE. I know it doesnt seem like it, with 60gig ipods and 4 gig nanos... but as ONE file, 23 gigs is gigantic. Relax. This is normal for calculating the file size.

Your computer has little to do with how fast it would display that. It can only scan the file so fast (processor has little to do with that), and its just taking time to figure out the size.

if it bothers you so much, cut your files down in size.

9. Yuvi macrumors member

For more fun, try Option-Right/Left. It's incredibly useful for me, though I never figured out if that had an equivalent in Windows.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's not on all the time, because it takes drive activity and CPU cycles to calculate those things all the time.

11. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Awesome.... :)

12. taylorpc macrumors member

Dude...

:D

I like.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

And because it sucks up CPU resources constantly calculating folder sizes.

14. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

Lebowski, relax, he wasn't attacking OS X as much as he was asking why/what was going on.
    There's no need to respond like that.

15. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    The "end" key thing is still questionable...

The only thing I've ever seen it work with, is MS Office...makes sense..MS..

but, why even put it on the keyboard..I really like the end/home commands in windows, a two button command in Mac is silly when you already have those keys....sometimes just hitting up/down in Mac will do the same thing, but not always...

One of the minor things that irritates me about OS X...

but it's a small thing..
    ;)

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Try it in a webpage ;)

17. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

On the same topic, is there any way to alt-tab through windows in the same program without using expose?

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Cmd+`

19. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I know you're being a little tongue-in-cheek, but that answer is completely unacceptable. It's not like the OS is tabulating all 23,000,000,000 bytes to come to the final file size. It just has to look at the file table (FAT in Windows terms). It should be available instantly.

If you had a folder of 1000's of files that collectively totalled 23 gigs, I could maybe excuse a bit of delay, since it would have to sum all the sizes of all those files, but it shouldn't take THAT long.

20. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Remember that any Mac application (.app-"file") is really a folder that may be containing countless files. Also if the permissions is "wrong" then it will not show the size and remain "--" for ever...

21. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

i always wondered about the sizing thing, id like to know the sizes of files and it makes sense that it takes up CPU to always calculate that stuff. but i think the sizes are saved unless something changes then itll recalculate it so its not always calculating all the time.

22. scan300 macrumors 6502

On the Mac, Up Down arrow -- scrolls a line worth, Page Up Down -- scrolls a screen worth and Home and End -- scroll to beginning and end of documents.

23. portent macrumors 6502a

In a single-line text field (like the URL field) the down-arrow key will take you to the end of the field. Up-arrow will take you to the beginning of the field.