2 Video Card Configuration

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Grimace, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Hey all, I just wanted to make sure that I am using my two mac pro video cards in the best configuration. I have the X1900XT in the x16 slot on bottom slot #1. Then I put the 7300GT in slot #3. The expansion slot utility came up and made it appear that slot #4 would allow or x8 speeds, but the middle two slots would not. I switched the 7300GT card up to slot #4 (picture 2) which seems like the most optimized setting.

Since Apple claimed that you could put four 7300GTs in a Mac Pro, it seems strange that I get a message saying that it won't run at maximum speed. :rolleyes: Any confirmation on whether this is the best setup?

Attached Files:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Where's You Get That Utility?

Got a link to where that utility came from? Thanks.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I believe that it comes on the Mac Pro installer discs. It's a utility for managing lane bandwidth given the limit number of lanes that you have available. It should be in /Applications/Utilities.

5. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

It actually just popped up when I turned the machine on again. I have no idea where to find it on its own -- probably in utilities.

6. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

No problem.

8. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

Since Apple claimed that you could put four 7300GTs in a Mac Pro, it seems strange that I get a message saying that it won't run at maximum speed. :rolleyes: Any confirmation on whether this is the best setup?[/QUOTE]

I am getting this message as well with my 2nd card. Does your 3rd monitor work? What is your setup? Thanks.