2 wireless routers on one network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lamina, May 3, 2006.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I have just returned from school, and my parents have a D-Link DI-514 in the basement. Wireless reception is on and off on the top floor. I have the exact same router that I used in my dorm.

Is there a way that I could use the second router as an extender?

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Sure. You make yours a client of the one in the basement. That's how I have my Airport Express (main floor, connected to stereo) connected to my main router/gateway (in my basement office).

3. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

If you have space to run an ethernet cable then the easy approach is to run an ethernet cable from the existing router to the added router. The second router will need to be configured to turn off DHCP and to use an ethernet connection rather than PPPoE but other than that it is trivial.

If you cannot run an ethernet cable, then you will need to ensure that D-Link supports range extension. An Airport Express is specifically designed to support this sort of set up. Many wireless routers also include proprietary support but not all wireless routers can support range extension.

4. DMPDX macrumors 6502

If youres is a d-link, I believe that there is a menue option to set your router (that youre currently connected to) to connect to make a bridge to a second router. Maybe d-link to any other brand will work too.
    -dsm