2 x 20" or 1 x 23" cinema display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by frem001, Jun 11, 2005.

1. frem001 macrumors newbie

Ahhhh I know this question has been asked in other forms (23" or 30"), but i just ordered a PM 2.7 ghz with ultra graphics card and a 23" display there is still time for me to change it. I'm studying architecture, so i use cad (vectorworks), photoshop and video editing occasionally. I'm interested in doing photo collage on photoshop for giving my cad work more depth. I thought I should just take the plunge since my system will still do what i need it to even with intel macs in the future. should i stick to my 23" dislplay or go with a dual 20" setup aaaaaaaaaaah this is driving me insane.

On one hand i can seperate my opened images and my current workspace, on the other hand 23" is HD and saves desk space and I got app which supports one screen

Has anyone had any problems with the 23" or 20" display over time? :confused: :eek:

2. cwerdna macrumors 6502

how about neither?

Another possibility for you is getting dual Dell 2005FPW displays.

See http://www.techbargains.com/cheaplcdmonitor.cfm

They're routinely $450 each after coupons, but sometimes they're $399 after coupons. Check www.techbargains.com on a regular basis, and I'm sure within a month or two you'll see it at $399 again. I'm not sure if they have limits about whether you can use a coupon more than once within a period. If so, you might have to wait a bit before getting the second one.

There's been a ton of discussion in http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=126665 before, but basically they use the same panel [but different backlight] and have the same resolution but the Dell has WAY more features and controls, although its styling is clearly inferior and doesn't match w/a Mac. If that latter doesn't matter to you, it's a steal.

Oh crap, I didn't realize you lived in the UK until after I posted. You might not be able to pick up the for as cheap then... :(

3. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

Do you need more vertical or horizontal space? What about desk space?

I'm facing the same decision, and I'm leaning 23" (not to mention, you can always add another 23" later ;) )

As for Dell... bah. You look at the monitor most. Aesthetics matter there more than any other component of your system.

(and while this is statistically irrelevant, everyone I know who has owned a dell product has regretted it. I switched from an Inspiron 8100 to a PB12 this past October. Towards the end, my Dell laptop needed a 1hr stint in my freezer before it would turn on. I hate that company so-o-o much.)

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

If you have the $$$, then go for the dual 20" Apple Cinema Displays.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Do like I did and get the Dell 24" LCD and put Desktop Manager on it so you can have up to 8 virtual screens. Its so much better and a lot cheaper :D

D

6. briangig macrumors regular

i'd go the dual displays...its so nice to just be able to glance over and see everything you need...no need to push keys or anything.

7. Will_reed macrumors 6502

Will_reed

get the 23 inch the 20 inch doesnt have enough vertical resolution to be worth the purchase I think.

8. anubis macrumors 6502a

I'd be all over the Dell 2405fp. It's $1079 from dell business.

• 24-inch widescreen
    • DVI, S video, component, composit, VGA inputs
    • 9ish-in-1 media card reader
    • 4 port USB hub