2 years of use and WOW thats a lot of cycles! (rev a 12" pb)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joecool85, Aug 31, 2005.

1. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

457 cycles on my battery! And it still holds 2390 (52% of original), thats not too bad.

**edit**
    Now at 1001, oct 2006.

**edit 2**
    Now at 1815, oct 2007.

**edit 3**
    Now at 1821, july, 2008.

2. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

How do you find out how many cycles your battery has taken?

3. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

System Profiler; in the hardware tab under "Power" .. Battery Information.

4. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

120 cycles and 4139 left....

I shouldn't check this stuff or I'll obsess over keeping my cycles down :eek:

5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I agree don't check too much or you will get obsessed, anyhow to original poster that is surprisingly impressive that your battery is still holding that good a charge after so many cycles,

ShadOW

6. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

7. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Threads like these makes us Rev B'ers cry...

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 970 :eek:

8. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Battery Information:
    Battery Installed: Yes
    First low level warning: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4173
    Remaining Capacity (mAh): 4157
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 12506
    Cycle Count: 101

All in ~13 months.

9. MACDreaming macrumors newbie

How do you keep the cycles down?

Sigh... I do not yet have all of the money saved yet for my first Mac. Which is going to be the 12" iBook with 1 gig of ram and 80 gig HD. :)

It will be used mostly in the living room wirelessly but the laptop will be plugged into the wall most of the time. Is this good or bad for the cycle thing? :confused: And/or should I remove the battery while it is plugged in if it is fully charged?

Just trying to get my ducks in a row before plunking down my money... trying to decide if I should wait until after Paris as I don't need need need it right this minute.... but boy it is sure going to be nice when it gets here. :D

Thanks,
    Caroline

10. Xacent macrumors member

24 months, still going strong

After 24 months my 17" PB still has 97% of original capacity. Granted I've only gone through 143 battery-loadcycles. I'm actually amazed considering that I use my PB all day every day for work.

The secret I guess is that I plug it in wherever I go so the battery barely ever needs to charge.

har har

11. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

I also

Battery Information:

Battery Installed: Yes
    First low level warning: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 5125
    Remaining Capacity (mAh): 4169
    Amperage (mA): -2140
    Voltage (mV): 11729
    Cycle Count: 9

So,my question is, i have had the PB now for a little over 6 months. I keep it plugged in at the desk most of the time, should i leave the battery off of it most of the time? will it hold its charge? or should ikk leave the battery in while it is always plugged in.
    Andreas

12. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Only 9 cylces in 6 months! Don't quote me but you should be fine keeping the battery plugged in. If I remember correctly the battery isn't used at all while the power adaptor is in use, so it wouldn't make any difference whether you unplugged it or not. But the battery is there to save you if you have a sudden power cut or the like.

13. zach macrumors 65816

zach

202 cycles... in 6 months. i really should cut down on my plugging and unplugging :p

14. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

It's not the plugging and unplugging that does it. Only battery drain. One cycle is one time of using 100% power. Wether you do it from 100% down to 0% once or wether you do one time of 100% down to 80% and charge it, then 100% down to 20% and charge it. Either way it is 1 cycle.

15. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I heard that you generally can't win either way. In general, the more times you charge it up (i.e. the more 'cycles' as explained above) the more you degrade your battery. But if you never unplug it, it goes down after time all of its own accord (though not as much). Apple has recently put a spiel on the bottom of the PB, iBook and iPod pages about efficient battery use and reccommends occasional running down of the battery if you always stay plugged in. I forget the link but it's easy to chase down on the Apple website.

16. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I have a new 2005 14" iBook, stock config, and when it was brand new I used a capacity program and it said it was only 88% of the original capacity. (4055 uh...units) It told me that was excellent. Now, about a month and a half later, with fairly light usage, I use my mini for everyday stuff. It still has the same status. Is it normal for a battery to start out this low? Should I call Apple about this? Will I be able to get a new battery out of them?

Thanks,
    Joe

17. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

~15 months
    127 cycles
    Full Charge Capacity 4281
    Remaining Charge Capacity 4262

18. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

A battery's life starts to degrade from the moment it's manufactured and unfrotunately batteries can potentially be sitting in stock for several months before they are put into new computers or apliances but I don't know about the specifics. I'm not sure if Apple has a policy on this but it wouldn't harm to ask at your local Apple Store, if you have one. I know that a recent Think Secret article mentioned that Apple will replace your LCD screen with just one dead pixel if you ask them hard enough...

That said, I wouldn't take what the battery life indicator programs take as gospel. They may not be that accurate.

19. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

My 4 year old Ti PB has:
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 3316
    Remaining Capacity (mAh): 3176
    Voltage (mV): 16232
    Cycle Count: 39

This is the original battery. I am quite impressed with this stat; but, I babied this Ti too much as I kept it on my desk, tethered to AC power most of the time.

20. bigsteve3 macrumors member

So if mine is a 2 year old revision B PowerBook 12" and it says 116 cycles but only 2162 for mAh...that's a bad thing, huh? I've noticed that my battery gets much less power than it used to and that the battery monitor in the menu bar often lies...the computer will suddenly sleep despite having plenty of battery left...is there a way to calibrate the batteries? Or do I need a new one...some of this may be a result of me completely disassembling my beloved PB this past May...

-S

21. Mass Hysteria macrumors regular

PBG4 revB 17" 1.33
    cap max= 4.875
    cap current= 4.874
    99.98%
    cycles= 148

I have noticed that since adding an extra 1GB ram over the stock 512, the battery drains much quicker

The battery does get warm during heavy use, but the memory gets HOT!!

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

My battery capacity was at 3700 mAh charge capacity 12 months ago. Around 6 months ago, my capacity was between 2700 and 3000 mAh.

Today: (23 month old 12" rev B Powerbook with the infamous sh*t battery included)
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 1896
    Remaining Capacity (mAh): 1896
    Cycle Count: 122

My battery is utter crap. I mean seriously, I know all the rules of properly charging and using my battery, and yet THIS is what happens. I know some owners of Rev B. 12" PowerBooks have had a worse experience, but I still think I got shafted.

23. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

My pbook doesn't have that option in system Profiler.
    Does the pbook have to be plugged in to see the "power" tab?

24. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

25. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

Coming up on 2 years of owning my PB and here are the stats:

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 2520
    Remaining Capacity (mAh): 2507
    Voltage (mV): 12435
    Cycle Count: 161

Is that good or bad? :confused: