20" and StarCraft?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ZLurker, May 2, 2005.

1. ZLurker macrumors regular

Im wondering if you can play old games on a 20" Cinema display?
    Im buying a 2x2.3 PM, hopfully with a 20" Display in the begining of june.
    Main use will be for work, but I intend to use it for WoW aswell. Given that im a huge blizzard fan, Im wondering if i can play Starcraft with the resolution 640x480 on the Display or if i have to use my iBook for that?
    How does the display respond to non widescreen games?

An thoughts?

2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

With any luck you should be able to play it windowed... that's what I would do...

I'm so happy they made an OSX version of Starcraft. :) I only wish they could do it with Diablo (I) too.

3. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I don't see why it shouldn't work. Most games get stretched, tho. Or so I've heard. Some just get black lines on the sides of the screen.

Be sure to report on how it worked. :)

4. isgoed macrumors 6502

I can play starcraft on my widescreen powerbook. I believe the resolution switches to 720x480 and I got borders on the side. I believe the lowest resolution on the 20" is something like 800x500 (?), so you get borders on the top and sides.

5. benpatient macrumors 68000

...and a low-contrast, fuzzy, overall uninspiring experience...

I would run in a window if you can.

6. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

With the old Starcraft graphics, the fuzziness shouldn't be too bad, I'd guess. Better to have a big picture than sharp graphics imo, but to each their own.

7. ZLurker thread starter macrumors regular

Thanx!

Thanks for the replys!
    I have never used a widescreen myself, but im looking forward to it.

I was rather intrested in the question if it will produce black lines and keep the right shape or if it will stretch?

Guess i could go for window mode, didn't think about that!
    Anyone with experience of window mode? How do you keep the mouse from leaving the window? Not sure I could preserve mouse precision when my hive cluster is under attack ;)

8. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Actually, I had a widescreen with starcraft with my iMac g4 (see sig). And I can teel you that starcraft will play in 640x480 resolution no matter what. It will not strech it's view. It will have black blocks at the left and right sides of the screen (in fullscreen mode).

I do not recommend playing starcraft in fullscreen. In my screen the game was blurry. Try running it in a window. Also, you asked how can you keep the mouse from leaving the game's window. You can't.

9. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

I find playing it in a window is very annoying... I constantly click out of it on accident. Starcraft is what, 7 years old? If graphics matter so much that you can't play SC when it's a little bit blurrier than if you played it on a smaller monitor, then maybe SC's not your game anyway...

10. vocaro macrumors regular

I routinely play Starcraft on my Mac with a 23" Cinema Display (the newer aluminum one), and it works fine. There are black bars on the left and right sides, but of course that's because the display is widescreen. You shouldn't have any regrets.

11. ZLurker thread starter macrumors regular

This Rocks!

Well that settles it!
    A 20" display it is! I cant wait to play SC on my new machine, it will ROCK!!
    If it works realy nicely, i Might just NOT get WoW. (Yea, in my dreams..)
    :p
    Thanks alot for the replys, I love this forum!

12. t0ast macrumors member

I've played SC alot, and on my iMac G5 20" every once in a while. It works nicely, but I don't remeber wheter it gets stretched or lined with black. I'm not at the iMac atm, but I'll get back to you.

By the way, if you ever look for someone to play with, contact me at AIM :)

13. ZLurker thread starter macrumors regular

Do you ever play WoW on that machine?

14. t0ast macrumors member

Yup, WoW runs perfectly on my iMac.

By the way, Starcraft is getting black stripes when played on a 20" monitor.

15. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

After reading this thread, I started playing it windowed - and I've come to like playing it windowed a lot more. The sharp details are great. Maybe I'll need to get a 1280*960 display to get clarity and a bigger picture..

The nice thing is that when you hold outside of the window you're still scrolling, so there are no problems with your mouse getting outside the window.

16. ZLurker thread starter macrumors regular

Thats great to know!
    Thats a really important feature. I think ill have to try both and see what fits my playstyle.