20" Apple Cinema Display - why so expensive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adandl, Jan 27, 2007.

1. adandl macrumors newbie

Let's see how this thread develops - I'm just curious if there is any justivication for the high price of the Apple Cinema Display (others than design).

Eg. a Dell 20" wide screen can be bought for round EUR 350 but the Apple display sells almost for twice the price...

Thanks for your input.

Albert

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I believe it comes down to design and dot pitch. I remember the CDs having a superior dot pitch. Other than that, many people here have opted for the Dell displays over Apple's.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Including me on price alone, and only because I couldn't justify the price difference between the two 23" models for a home monitor; about an extra £275. However, the new work monitors will probably be ACDs, or something comparable, as they'll be used for more critical work and will probably have a longer life-span.

Hoping for new or upgraded models before August/September.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

when you buy an Apple product, especially something like a Cinema Display which is geared toward professionals, you are paying not only for functionality but also for style.

5. abbottpc.com macrumors member

The Apple is more because your paying for the name and the design. If you want a matching display to go along side your new mac pro, then many people will opt for the Apple display. But the Dells are great monitors for the price and are very comparable.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

7. erkanasu macrumors 6502

I have the Dell 22", got it a few days ago, this thing is great! only ~300 usd

8. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Actually, because it has an :apple: on the front and they match the machines.

Since this is the case for such a small number of displays on the market, they stylish sheep glady baste their bodies before visiting the hungry wolf with the shears.

Look at all the people who wouldn't be caught dead in a Toyota but drive a Lexus.

10. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

That's not really true. Any display that's the same size and same resolution has the exact same dot pitch. The dot pitch is a function of physical display size and resolution, so a 20" Dell at 1680x1050 has the exact same dot pitch as the 20" ACD at 1680x1050.

11. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Not checked the figures in both these cases, but your statement is not always true. Especially on older CRT monitors, you could often find quotes between 0.28mm and 0.20mm dot pitch. Minor differences in pixel size can account for this. Also, it depends how manufacturers quote the pitch. Lower end manufacturers will usually quote horizontal pitch, higher end will quote diagonal. Why? Because then they are comparable numbers, even though diagonal pitch is a truer representation.

12. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

OK, fair point about the CRTs, but I was talking about LCDs. And I don't care what the manufacturers quote at, the fact is that a 20" Dell and a 20" Apple have exactly the same dot pitch -- because their pixels are exactly the same size. They both run at 1680x1050, and their panels are exactly the same physical dimensions. You can't have different dot pitch numbers in that case. Maybe the manufacturer will SAY they're different because of shady marketing, but that wasn't my point -- they're physically identical. So you don't have to worry about one having a better dot pitch than the other if you're looking at two panels of the same size/resolution.

13. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Don't a lot of LCD makers actually use the same panels in their displays? Also, I have a 20" ACD and I love it. It's stylish, it matches my Mac Pro, it's high quality and looks and feels nice. It's also got a heavy-duty-ness about it that a lot of other displays I saw lacked. A lot of displays I was seeing were made out of cheesy plastic cases and creaked and cracked when you moved them around but, the Apple display is smooth, rock hard, and when you want to angle it, it glides so easy. It's not only high quality but, it's a perfect compliment to your Mac Mini or Mac Pro.

14. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Some do, though not as many as those that used to share CRTs on the inside. The Apple 20" and Dell 2007wfp both use the same panel, for example. The fit and finish and extra features put on by the manufacturers does make a difference, I agree...I agree with you that the ACD is well-built, but I chose the Dell because of price and multiple inputs (a must for me). Luckily, the panel is the same so the picture looks identical to my iMac's screen.

15. Spritey macrumors regular

Spritey

Lovin' my Dell screen

I got a sweet 20" widescreen LCD from Dell about a year ago, and I absolutely adore this screen!! If I was a millionaire (+/- a "little") I'd get the Apple one, but as a student, the design and 'coolness' factor doesn't justify the double price IN MY OPINION.

(and I've moved my Dell screen around a bunch, inc. to new apt, the plastic is really sturdy and hard I think, I can tilt and rotate the screen in all various angles, no problems at all. I don't have a TV, so I'll move the screen to the living room and we'll sit in the couch and watch it. No one's complained about the viewing angle either. The extra USB ports on the side are nice for connecting your cell phone, camera, USB stick etc).

Maybe my eyes aren't as "fine-tuned" as everyone else's, but screen-wise I couldn't tell a difference between Dell and ACDs. Maybe the price blinded me.

Apple's going for a differentiated strategy where you pay for the :apple: logo and design (something gotta justify the higher price) whereas Dell is more of a mixture of cost-leadership/differentiated side.

I'd personally go for Dell, and instead bump up the size if you feel like spending the money.