20" Cinema Display : Connecting this beast to a PC.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by whipstitch, Dec 25, 2006.

1. whipstitch macrumors newbie

Dec 5, 2006
    I recently bought a MBP and since the screen is actually brighter than my Cinema display, I brought the latter home to connect to my home PC.

With the MBP came a converter (which I had already bought since it didn't come with my PB) that allows for adapting to, for instance, a projector from the laptop. I want to do the opposite: connect my Cinema display with DVI plug to a VGA port (I think it's called a VGA port, no?).

How can I do this; will it work?

2. starfox101 macrumors newbie

Mar 26, 2006
    I have hooked up my 20" to my son's pc, worked fine. I believe the display came with the adapter from vga to dvi, either way I have also hooked up a second display to my g5 it was a vga I had all the adapters needed. I have bought no extras.
  3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Mar 17, 2005
    London, UK
    I'm afraid this won't work. The ACDs only accept digital video signals so DVI only. They can't display analogue (VGA) signals. If its a PC though it shouldn't be too hard to put a different graphics card in with a DVI connector, you can pick up DVI graphics cards for next to nothing. :)
  4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Erm, starfox101 are you sure about that? I was pretty sure that the ACDs require a digital input signal. You can get a VGA -> DVI-A adaptor (that sends the analog signal through the analog pins of the DVI), but as far as I know, this will not permit a computer that has no DVI output to display on an ACD.

Going from a computer that outputs DVI to a VGA display (it almost always works with a simple adapter) is an entirely different matter than going from a computer that outputs VGA to a DVI display that does not accept analog signals.